Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: caged creatures v drowning  (Read 766 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
caged creatures v drowning
« on: July 21, 2009, 12:12:40 pm »

will the cage keep my captured thieves from drowning or do i need to release them?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: caged creatures v drowning
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:19:46 pm »

Yes, it keeps them from drowning, due to a bug:

# 000402 □ [dwarf mode][flows]   if you throw a wooden cage in a swamp pool, the occupants don't drown

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:41:15 pm »

ok thanks for the quick response. time for some drowning

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:03:26 pm »

I was relying on drowning for a while, but I've now moved away from it. My preferred method to deal with caged combatants is after they've been stripped, put them in a pit with an overlooking balcony, then send marksdwarves to train up by pincushioning the captives. Or even better, since I currently have a breeding population of black bears, I installed 13 captive cages and then released them all at once, into a bunch of bears. Now half those bears have names. I can't wait for the engravings.

My next batch of prisoners gets the bear treatment for sure. It's way too much fun not to do.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:17 pm »

unfortunately the only animal that i have that can do damage is a lone wolf and i don't want to risk him just yet

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:55:44 pm »

Okay, how do you train non-dogs? I'd love to be able to kill stuff with animals. I once had a breeding pair of black bears, but ever since then the elves have brought me nothing but garbage.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:45:11 pm »

i think the only way to train animals other than dogs is to mod them so i forget what the tag is but if you look around you can probably find it

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 07:06:53 pm »

You don't need to train things to use them to kill stuff. Merely taming them will do fine.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 09:06:23 pm »

I'm using the creature expansion mod by teldin and I'm going to sacrifice my goblin prisoners on the altar of the WAR PIGS! Then I'll kill an iron man or the wizard. Wow, that's going to be one bloody sabbath :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:25:56 pm »

Seriously, you don't need special animals. In one of my current forts, I have a pit. Inside said pit, a few tame cougars and rhesus macaques have been allowed to breed continuously.

Prisoners are shoved over the edge and allowed to fight their way free. The only catch is that they have to make it past eighty damn monkeys first.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 11:53:24 pm »

My bears are regular tame bears, not war bears. They only need to be tame, not trained, which fortunately the elves already did for me. I've even had loose tame raccoons try to fend off invaders. I think war animals are merely more likely to seek out an enemy to attack, and of course they can be made to follow around a certain dwarf which can be handy.

Ultra-Towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immovable Object
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 07:18:23 am »

War dogs also have more health and do more damage.
Ask about our Noble-Extermination Death Machines!

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:30:13 am »

Adding the [trAINABLE] tag next to between [PET] and the other option in the entites raw for the creature should make them trainable, as far as I remember.
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 09:34:44 am »

Seriously, you don't need special animals. In one of my current forts, I have a pit. Inside said pit, a few tame cougars and rhesus macaques have been allowed to breed continuously.

Prisoners are shoved over the edge and allowed to fight their way free. The only catch is that they have to make it past eighty damn monkeys first.
Thanks to wildlife that I've trapped, and those nice(!) elves to partner the caught solo predators with one of the complementary-gender, I have a small colony of giant tigers in the offing.  And some other surprises in the tunnel to my trade depot.

But when my first siege happened, they headed for my "standard" entrance (which my first trade depot lay behind), guarded by a couple of roped-up elephants, before I had switched the accessibilities.  (To be fair, they had to go past that location to get to the other, so they probably were tempted to divert.)

I had my active military stationed strategically in my Depot Tunnel, to handle surprises once I'd sealed the invaders in, but after a small tussle at the old entrance(one gobbo died, the elephant incurred no visible wounds but gained a name) they all fled back off the map.  If I had realised that they'd do that, I'd have sent my military to the other openable exit and had a go at facing their "retrograde advance", from the other side.  But they had too much of a head start on me, given our relative locations, even with my subterrainean shortcuts.

So far, the elephants appear to be the best investment (in traps and training) that I have made, save for the loss of all that goblin kit that I thought I might be able to recover.  But I'm ready for more viscious enemies, and confident.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 11:21:12 am »

War pigs are awesome. They destroy everything in their path, and they make bacon...

WAR BACON!

Also has anyone had the issue of a cat-like creature adopting a dwarf, even though it isn't tame? I had wild rat spiders adopt some of my dwarves, and I think I might accidentally get a ratspiplosion. That would be new...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.