Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Saving barrels for booze?  (Read 2605 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saving barrels for booze?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 04:41:08 pm »

Regardless of whether this even works, there still remains an essential question: why would you even care for skills like that? It was my understanding that a lot of the social skills were still useless.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 05:06:09 pm »

Meh, perfectly true, except for one word - experience.  :-\

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 05:37:07 pm »

Not to mention that stonecrafting has to be one of the shittiest skills there is. All they do is churn out useless and cheap trade goods which will either be a pain in the ass to trade or require wood for bins.
Pretty much. Even an unskilled dwarf without an applicable material preference will produce enough value in mugs* to buy a bit of food off the first caravan, which can then be multiplied in value by the cook and used to buy more stuff. If they bring dwarven cheese or milk, you're laughing. Only problem is that you have to be quick and efficient, since dwarves think it's a great idea to sleep for a week in the middle of their fortress's first ever trading period.

*I wonder if the rise in effective skill level for preferences applies to the speed of the work as well as its quality?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:47 pm »

experience

That's all well and good, but you have to ask yourself: is it worth the pain in the ass? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it isn't unless you're really anal about this, bordering on OCD.

I've got all my founders doing mining and one food-related job. That's two easy legendary skills. Then there's the option of having all of them train management and bookkeeping1), not to mention things like pump operating2) or making rock blocks3). All of the aforementioned got a far better cost/benefit ratio (the cost being measured in hassle, in this case) than micromanaging single-item trades.

1) I used to do this with all my founders, but now I got one bookkeeper and manager each. They'll be at max stats (or stat names at least) anyway, when I'm done with them, so I don't see the point.
2) & 3) I don't actually recommend these for the original seven, I'm just saying that they seem preferable to that pain in the ass of a trading sploit you've mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:54:20 pm by assimilateur »
Pages: 1 2 [3]