Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me make a monster?  (Read 615 times)

Sinfang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me make a monster?
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:36:08 pm »

I've started looking at mods, picking up one or two to tweak my game, but I'm stumped by creature design.  I can figure out some of it, but I'm having trouble making a new critter.  The tokens are listed alphabetically, rather then what goes where, so it's a little aggravating flipping back and forth trying to figure out if this token is the one I want, or if there's one I want somewhere that I missed.

are there any sort of monster templates? or a organized token list that doesn't look like an encyclopedia?

as a test, I tried tweaking a wolf entry to get a drider sort of thing, a little ravening horde that could paralyze with a bite and carry simple weapons, but I'm having trouble figuring out the 'attacks' bit.  It also feels like I'm missing other things, but I don't know what.

(revised version)

creature_skitterbite

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:SKITTERBITE]
   [NAME:skitterbite:skitterbites:skitterbite]
   [TILE:'S'][COLOR:7:0:0]
   [MODVALUE:3]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:20]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:10:20]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][MEANDERER][SAVAGE][liKES_FIGHTING][CARNIVORE][EVIL][LOOSE_CLUSTERS]
   [PETVALUE:250]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:0][NATURAL]
   [PREFSTRING:mindless feral nature]
   [PREFSTRING:sleek exoskeleton]
   [PREFSTRING:sharp mandibles]
   [BODY:SPIDER:8EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
   [BODYGLOSS:SEGMENT]
   [SIZE:5]
   [MAXAGE:10:250]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
   [EXTRACT:giant cave spider venom:7:0:0]
   [EXTRACT_VALUE:100]
   [WEBIMMUNE][PARALYZEIMMUNE][EQUIPS][NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][EXTRACT_PARALYZE]
   [CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:Skitterbite larva:Skitterbite larvae]
   [liTTERSIZE:2:10]
   [FAT:1]
   [CHITIN][BLOODTYPE:W]
   [NOCTURNAL]
   [BIOME:ANY_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [LAYERING:50]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:02:06 pm by Sinfang »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make a monster?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:00:45 am »

This will work fine, for a creature. For the paralyzing bite thing you just need to add the tokens [EXTRACT:0:0:0] and [EXTRACT_PARALYZE] to the creature and then tack on [SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100] to the end of the attack after [ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]. Just a note on token order, there really isn't one. The only tokens that absolutely have to go together are the attack ones, and those are all grouped separately in the list on the wiki. As for the other ones, just keep in mind that if a token refers to another, such as how [EXTRACT_PARALYZE] refers to the extract which is defined by the [EXTRACT:?:?:?] tag, then you probably want to add the one that does the reffering second, (put [EXTRACT_PARALYZE] second). Also keep in mind that in almost all cases a second copy of a tag will overwrite the first one, so if I put [DAMBLOCK:10] and then [DAMBLOCK:50], only the [DAMBLOCK:50] will apply. This really will only effect you with tokens that imply others, such as [STANDARD_FLESH] and as such I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you can follow those two general rules though, then as long as [CREATURE:xxx] is at the top the tokens can really be in any order.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make a monster?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:10:39 am »

Most tokens don't care where they're put. Although for ease of removal and modification you'd want to group obvious tokens like the [NO_X] family ([NOPAIN],[NOSTUN], etc.) in one section to avoid having to sift through the code.

I also suggest that you use the more spider-based Giant Cave Spider as a template, instead of a wolf.

Base GCS:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT]
[NAME:giant cave spider:giant cave spiders:giant cave spider]
[TILE:'S'][COLOR:7:0:0]
[MODVALUE:10]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:20][DIFFICULTY:3]
[EXTRACT:giant cave spider venom:7:0:0]
[EXTRACT_VALUE:100]
[EXTRACT_PARALYZE][NATURAL][PET_EXOTIC]
[EXTRACT_ANTIDOTE:giant cave spider antivenin:7:0:0:100]
[WEBBER][THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE][AMBUSHPREDATOR][PARALYZEIMMUNE]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[GENPOWER:4]
[BLOODTYPE:W][CHITIN]
[PETVALUE:2500]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:10]
[CARNIVORE]
[NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOSTUN][NOEMOTION][NOSKULL][NOBONES]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:1]
[NOFEAR]
[PREFSTRING:mystery]
[BODY:SPIDER:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH]
[SIZE:10]
[MAXAGE:20:30]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
[FAT:1]
[NO_SLEEP]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
[BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[HOMEOTHERM:10040]
[STANDARD_FLESH]

A few things I noticed right off the bat:

You lacked an extract information for your creature, so it won't be able to paralyze people with the extract injection attack, which you also act.

You need an [EQUIPS] tag, and possibly a minor amount of information in its own entity section for it to create weapons.

Its body is made of stock parts, you could make your own set of real drider parts fairly quickly.