Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sort animals by species and gender  (Read 766 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sort animals by species and gender
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:20:33 pm »

It would be nice if the animals page of the stocks menu was sorted by both animal and gender. If you only want one stud animal and all the females for breeding stock, you currently have to dig through the menu and mark all the unwanted males. It could be done much faster if the list was sorted.

Also, pets should be at the top of their species, regardless of gender, just to make it easier to see if one of your immigrants brought along a male that can be used as a stud or a female for breeding.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sort animals by species and gender
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:34:35 am »

I'm sure I've seen this suggested before (at least alongside other animal-related chatter), but consider this a voice of support.

(I'd also like to see the gender of an animal in the "Assign to chain" menus.  I'm sure I've mentioned that, before, though.  In passing.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:00:14 am »

I'd take this a step further and make each species-gender a collapsible/expandable category, like the Stocks screen.  So at first you'd just see "8 male cats," "5 female horses" and so on.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:54:17 am »

Displaying the age when assigning them to restraints would be useful too

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:07:39 am »

I'd take this a step further and make each species-gender a collapsible/expandable category, like the Stocks screen.  So at first you'd just see "8 male cats," "5 female horses" and so on.
The way the stocks screen is arranged[1], it'd be categorised as something like "Equine", "Ungulates", "Canine", "Primates", etc, then within the list (as expadned by <tab>) the creatures grouped in sub-type order (horse, mule, etc).  Possibly the marked-for-butchering ones get appended to the end by a different colour(like dump/forbid, and maybe melt, in the Stocks list).

If the stocks menu is being redone for greater control[2], then it could be done so that the the animals could be similarly sorted.  Your choice of gender/pet-or-butcher-statuses/animal families (and subtypes within).

But, for now, a hard-coded sorting by animal-type, then gender (or age) within, then age (or gender) within, and possibly pet-at-top-and-butcher-at-bottom either as the final sub-sort or at the first level...  Should be simple.  (Noting that I may be a coder in a number of languages, but I haven't had any opportunity to look at Toady's code, so I'm just going on the general principle, not the reality.  Nor am I accounting for Toady's priorities or own thoughts on this matter, of course.)

[1] It needn't be, but it the possible savings of time by re-using/adapting the existing code could make it easier to implement, and thus more likely.

[2] Multiple levels of expansion, and/or possibly choice of groupings so that all plant fibre footwear can sit together then whether they are socks or shoes, as opposed to being grouped as socks or shoes and then plant or silk (or leather, for shoes) within that as per present... and be able to supercede the (decreasing) value order within that by any other choice...