Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walls, Ore, and Weapons oh my!  (Read 670 times)

Zankaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Walls, Ore, and Weapons oh my!
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:39:06 pm »

Got 3 questions.

1. If the end of my wall stops at the side of a mountain (see pic below) and the top of the wall is on the same level as the mountain one level up, will enemies be able to ignore my defenses by walking up to the next level and walk onto my wall-top?

2. Was wanting to know if there were any rules on where ore is? Like are all the ore tiles made when you generate the world and if there are none anywhere in the map you embarked on tough luck? Also if there was a higher chance of finding ore based on level, like im currently mining exploration tunnels on the bottom level, will it be easier to find iron ore on say...2 or 3 levels below ground or 8?

3. Was told in another thread that copper picks cause more damage than iron picks, so does that work for all weapons as well? Including Crossbows, and does a wooden crossbow follow same rules?

PICTURE CONCERNING QUESTION 1
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:16:15 pm by Zankaru »
"Hesitation leads to disaster" - Kishimoto
"Courage imperils life, fear protects it" - da'vinci
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu
"In death all things appear fair" - Homer
At one of my older forts, I had a cat with a kobold kill to it's name, I locked a kobold into a small pit and then kept tossing cats in till it died.....For Science!

catapult_fodder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Walls, Ore, and Weapons oh my!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:46:01 pm »

You might have some problems from ranged attackers with a setup like that, as they will be able to get on the wall and shoot into your fort.  However, without a ramp or stair they won't be able to get down and actually walk into your fort.  I've never seen attackers jump down.

Check the wiki for material damage properties.  IIRC Wood and glass are 50%, copper is 66%, bronze is 75%, iron is 100%, steel is 133%, and adamantine is 500%.

You should consider working on your defenses a little bit, most people would say that you need a retractable bridge or drawbridge covering a pit so that they can't be destroyed by legendary monsters like dragons and bronze colossi.  One door isn't going to cut it.

Zankaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:42 pm »

well that sucks....can I build another wall blocking off my wall top on the above level so they cant get onto the wall even if they go to the wall-top level?

DRAGONS!?!?  well cant really focus on my defenses yet since Im only like 5 seasons into my fort and havent even found any ore yet. I dont even have 20+ dwarves yet.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:57:13 pm by Zankaru »
At one of my older forts, I had a cat with a kobold kill to it's name, I locked a kobold into a small pit and then kept tossing cats in till it died.....For Science!

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:08:05 pm »

1. you may want to build a floor covering the area between the wall and that mountain. it would solve your problem and look cool at the same time.

2. I'm not sure if ore is generated when you create the world but I do know that cetrain ores lie within certain stone types and that you don't find more ore the farther you go down. to find out what stone type you have check out the wiki under http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Stone

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 02:40:52 pm »

Double thick walls? Very, um... dwarven...

well that sucks....can I build another wall blocking off my wall top on the above level so they cant get onto the wall even if they go to the wall-top level?

That's a good solution.

Another is to dig a channel between the wall end and the plateau, so they can't walk from one to another, or build an entirely diff wall on the plateau - you don't want them standing up there and shooting down into your compound anyway, right?

Ores are gen'd during worldgen, and are believe to be solely dependent on the "layer" they are found in - not the level, but the dominant stone type for that area block.  A layer of basalt at ground level has the same characteristics and chance for the same ores as one at any other level, plus or minus.

Read the wiki on "layer", "stone" and "vein".

Zankaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 03:13:07 pm »

2. I'm not sure if ore is generated when you create the world but I do know that cetrain ores lie within certain stone types and that you don't find more ore the farther you go down. to find out what stone type you have check out the wiki under http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Stone

Thanks =)

Double thick walls? Very, um... dwarven...

That's a good solution.

Another is to dig a channel between the wall end and the plateau, so they can't walk from one to another, or build an entirely diff wall on the plateau - you don't want them standing up there and shooting down into your compound anyway, right?

Ores are gen'd during worldgen, and are believe to be solely dependent on the "layer" they are found in - not the level, but the dominant stone type for that area block.  A layer of basalt at ground level has the same characteristics and chance for the same ores as one at any other level, plus or minus.

Read the wiki on "layer", "stone" and "vein".

Eventually they will be 4-thick with a 5 wide moat in front of the wall, once I can figure out how to get water from the river to go up two levels. funny, the water had no qualms about going up stairs to flood my first fortress, but it refuses to do the same thing now that I want it to.

Crap, didnt even think about that. gonna have to make walls around the top of my courtyard now too.....seems like it would be easier to seal my entrance, then make a tunnel from inside leading outside then up to ground level where I have made a fort in the middle of a field.

Added walls to the upper level with floors in front of those, so there is no way for them to get onto the wall-top now?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:15:18 pm by Zankaru »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:23:35 pm »

That looks sealed up. Twice!

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 05:32:04 pm »

On the left, upper level, replace that rightmost floor tile with a wall. Enemies can walk the diagonal.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 05:36:54 pm »

Ack, orange text.

Also, sealing off the top of your walls is hardly going to do any good at all since goblins and whatever else will still be able to shoot at your dwarves from the soil ledges.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:17:32 pm »

Also, be careful that you don't trap your dwarves up there on top of your wall while you're sealing it off.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 07:26:23 pm »

(been there!)

Put a simple ramp up from the inside (make wall at that point full thickness so you won't have to deconstruct it later).