Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh god... Oh dear god...  (Read 1595 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Oh god... Oh dear god...
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:29:09 am »

Okay. I started a fortress. Soon after migrants, with one child. I made the mistake of having the child be left by himself at the wagon. First, he very nearly misses getting snatched by a jackson theif. The kid ran off screen while the jackson got mauled by the dog. I thought *phew*. But then, I saw him running in the opposite direction BEING CHASED BY 5 ANTMEN! He did not survive...
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Sqee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Oh god... Oh dear god...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:36:46 am »

My condolences...

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:46:47 am »

Consider yourself lucky. Dwarf kids are worthless.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:59:03 am »

UPDATE: Tantrum Spiral, anyone?
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

eddyg86

• Bay Watcher
  • b.marley 'donsit on ur pride -just get hiiidodobdo
    • View Profile
    • grimmwold - rp server i play dwarf called Blig - uo
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:10:32 am »

big tip - get Dwarf Manager - and use that to set those dwarf childs to some healthy work on the furnace or picking plump helmets. that'll keep them below ground and when (if) 14 years ever pass they'll have some lovely skillz, probably be legendary. i think the work promotes good mood generation too.

it's cheating, though, but no dwarf children will sit around playing with a toy furnace in my fort when they could be doing the real thing...!
my fortress is full of kitties

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:16:16 am »

By the time even immigrant children grow up their legendary +5 in all the conversation skills, and therefore have a sickening number of stat ups. All immigrant children or babies go straight into the military where I can put their precious precious stats to go use.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:15:09 pm »

By the time even immigrant children grow up their legendary +5 in all the conversation skills, and therefore have a sickening number of stat ups. All immigrant children or babies go straight into the military where I can put their precious precious stats to go use.
ARE YOU A MAD MAN?
The social connections they have ensure you a swift and painfull collapse should even one of them die in battle!
The masses would be unconsolable if the entire squad was killed!
The beautiful waterfall and delicious cheese can only go so far!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:09 pm »

Not to mention that a Recruit with Superdwarven strength is not desirable. Unless you're trying to set a record for number of decapitated heads in the barracks.  ;D

My kids are designated haulers. A good use for those stat boosts (especially since hauling doesn't give any stats boost on its own), and no chance of an instant tantrum spiral.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 12:59:32 am »

ARE YOU A MAD MAN?
The social connections they have ensure you a swift and painfull collapse should even one of them die in battle!

Fool, there is no such thing as too far when it comes to legendary dining rooms and royal bedrooms!

...seriously, they get a positive thought for every different bonus and only one moderate negative thought for a friend dying no matter how many die (unless the friend is also a family member). It's easy to avoid tantrum spirals unless you make your dwarves live in the mud and stand up in place to eat nothing but raw plump helmets for years on end (or reclaim a fortress that ended by HFS).

Also recruits sparring with skilled dwarves is rarely an issue - the trained dwarves are usually tough and skilled enough to not get hurt and the recruits train FAST so it doesn't come up much. high stat recruits vs other recruits might be a problem but who cares? no-skill dwarves are replaceable, just toss more into the meat grinder till a couple of champs come out.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 01:18:55 am »

ARE YOU A MAD MAN?

Fool, there is no such thing as too far when it comes to legendary dining rooms and royal bedrooms!

...seriously, they get a positive thought for every different bonus and only one moderate negative thought for a friend dying no matter how many die (unless the friend is also a family member). It's easy to avoid tantrum spirals unless you make your dwarves live in the mud and stand up in place to eat nothing but raw plump helmets for years on end (or reclaim a fortress that ended by HFS).

Also recruits sparring with skilled dwarves is rarely an issue - the trained dwarves are usually tough and skilled enough to not get hurt and the recruits train FAST so it doesn't come up much. high stat recruits vs other recruits might be a problem but who cares? no-skill dwarves are replaceable, just toss more into the meat grinder till a couple of champs come out.

I do find it funny in combat when my champion wrestlers (probably legendary  +5 by now), tear off their enemy's hands. Or fling them 6 feet. Or both.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 01:51:54 am »

I do find it funny in combat when my champion wrestlers (probably legendary  +5 by now), tear off their enemy's hands. Or fling them 6 feet. Or both.
Its somewhat different when you're equipping them with Obsidian Short Swords because you can't obtain steel, and have an even more difficult time armoring them for the same reason.

It was pretty standard in my last good all-obsidian fort for a new recruit, if he survived his first sparring session, to lie in bed for three seasons resting injuries.

The sparring area was constantly drenched in blood. Their goblin enemies held no candle to the horrors and trials faced just in training.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 02:03:41 am »

Yikes. See this is why i never make anything but marksdwarves. They come with a whole other set of issues but at least they don't salsanate each other the first time they hit the practice mats.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 02:22:54 am »

Well, eventually all of my champions have developed the statement: doesn't care about anything anymore.