Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen history junkies: how do you get to know your worlds?  (Read 938 times)

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Well, I'm off on another worldgen obsession.   When I was writing up stories for Shotstockades I got to know the (small) world I embarked in fairly well, but the world was *small*, with a handful of civilizations and only 60 years of history.

When you've got a large world, how do you prefer to get to know the world?   I'm interested in how you as a player fall in love with the unique awesomeness of the history (and modernity) of the world you're playing in.

Do you pick one civ, and follow its interactions with other civilizations?  Do you use the historical maps to focus in on times and places where expanding civilizations suddenly intersect?  Do you just skim the text available in Legends mode and wait until something jumps out at you?  Do you wander about in Adventure mode and talk to the natives?  Do you choose "reveal all historical events" during worldgen so you can get it all at once, or do you keep some of it hidden so you have to play  the game to learn it all?

I've just generated a Large world and watching the humans conquer elven settlements during worldgen was fascinating, but now that worldgen is done, I'm drowning in data with no good way to figure out what's really interesting and what's  just another human settlement constructing yet another hovel in the middle of nowhere.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen history junkies: how do you get to know your worlds?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:57:47 pm »

I talk to mine for a while, take it out to dinner and a movie. Explore it.

No, I'm just kidding. I usually quickly sift through legends, check out the different regions, and go from there.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:53:11 pm »

I usually go through legends mode and look at every battle of every war that happened.  Then I just look for recurring names, or anything else that jumps out at me.

I usually glance through the first few pages of the historical figures to look for particularly active megabeasts as well.  Note down the ones that do alot of hoarding and look for them in adventure mode later.  Easy money.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:18:45 pm »

I start with the map of historical territory holdings to get an overview of potential wars, keeping an eye out for ruins, crushed civilizations and massive empires. Then I inspect the details of the ones that catch my eye.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 10:09:32 pm »

You know, in Adventure mode I always felt quite lost. I never considered searching through Legends for Megabeasts with treasure hoards, fallen civilizations, and the like. That makes the game feel so much more deep now. I must do some of this...
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 08:57:17 am »

I added an item to the eternal voting thread over in Suggestions from XML'izing history.  It would allow modders to create history readers that would behave like a Wiki from any generated world.
Linky .

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:17:53 pm »

You know, in Adventure mode I always felt quite lost. I never considered searching through Legends for Megabeasts with treasure hoards, fallen civilizations, and the like. That makes the game feel so much more deep now. I must do some of this...

Please report back on whether it makes you feel less lost.  I'm a Legends junkie and I still feel kinda lost in Adventure mode...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 06:31:57 pm »

I almost have always tried to determine the identities of the various megabeasts (I have a particular fondness for dragons) and see if they did anything cool.

I had a female dragon end up as an object of worship, but I was unable to find any of her worshipers in adventure mode (no, I did, but I couldn't talk to them about it).