Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fastest Rendering Mode?  (Read 2107 times)

William

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fastest Rendering Mode?
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:44:45 am »

I'm currently running running version D12 and I find it difficult to conclude what mode is the fastest. There is partial printing, frame buffering and accumulated buffer. I keep trying to compare the bunch but the frame rates are being hard to compare.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest Rendering Mode?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:43:42 pm »

Set max FPS to 1 gazillion, and just open up to the menu.
Faster that way.

But partial print etc. differs with people I think.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:06:30 pm »

Of late, standard is sufficiently fast that you should have little need for the other modes. It's also the least glitchy mode, thus the name.

They're there mainly for those on old/obsolete hardware.. which makes me wonder why I even bothered implementing VBOs...
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

William

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:46:56 pm »

My PC never runs DF at a tolerable speed. If I make the maps smaller, I lack the proper resources, altering the rendering options I get a few FPS increases, but not much more. I don't hate DF, I just hate how it runs.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 02:21:50 am »

Yeeeaaa... I'm concerned that my quad core drops from 300fps (what I have it set to) to 50 when I hit about 100+ dwarves.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 10:41:38 am »

Yeeeaaa... I'm concerned that my quad core drops from 300fps (what I have it set to) to 50 when I hit about 100+ dwarves.
People keep saying 'quad core' as if the number of cores helps within the same aplication...  It means you could theoretically run 4 DF instances without much speed penalty, not that a single instance would get four times the speed.  There's a few things that can use more than one core, but not many!
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:44:20 am »

Stop hitting dwarves, dude...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 01:53:09 am »

Considering that I am running this on a netbook, I was more than happy when the new 40d13 let my fps up to 100 when I had 20 dwarves.

Now I have a hundred (I've capped it there, though I suppose it might be able to stand 10 more) and am down to 22-23, but still far better than before.

If anyone has suggestions on how to improve this further, I'd be grateful, though.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 03:16:03 pm »

Quad core helps (not much more than dual core) because you can isolate programs on different cores.

For example, I am running DF on the fourth core, but I have little else on it - FF, Chrome, etc are all forced to the first 3.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:33:31 pm »

Considering that I am running this on a netbook, I was more than happy when the new 40d13 let my fps up to 100 when I had 20 dwarves.
Ditto. I was surprised at how quickly DF runs on my Acer Aspire One. The N270 is rated the same as my current laptop's CPU, but I read that it was optimized for power saving, rather than performance.