Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Making the game more accessible for new players  (Read 2099 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making the game more accessible for new players
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »

I'm not sure why creating pre-bundled saves would impugn on dev-time (Toady isn't the only one who has to make them), or why they're completely useless due to the existence of tutorials. It will definitely be helpful for showing people the 'big picture' in an interactive way, showing how all of the individual steps they took fit together to form a fortress.

Also, enough about scripting. Scripting is annoying, if nothing else, to implement. Scripting at the level that would bring any gameplay benefits whatsoever is not worth it in terms of dev time and dev hassle, IMO. The whole point of a pre-bundled save with notes is to remove the need to have an in-game tutorial.

Another suggestion might be more automatic in-game raws documentation. For example, when looking at a plump helmet it should tell me that it brews into dwarven wine, it grows during so and so seasons, the name of the seed is plump helmet spawn, it's edible both cooked and raw, etc... Looking at a sweet pod should tell me it's processable to barrel into dwarven syrup, brewable into dwarven rum, etc... Looking at dwarven syrup should tell me it's processed from sweet pods, and cookable, etc... Looking at copper should tell me it can be forged into weapons, furniture, able to be alloyed with tin, etc...

A third-party tool might actually be just as good for such a thing, for now. I'd rather this be implemented before the presentation arc, though, as with the sheer amount of information which will be present in the new raws, it'll be invaluable. Perhaps you could tie in guildmasters later on; but that's outside of the scope of this suggestion.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 12:45:03 pm »

Should be possible for a third party app to parse the raws and generate php pages to represent them.

Would be even better for Mods...

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 08:30:38 pm »

Make the entire game mouse friendly? It would be easier than having to learn all the controls.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 08:32:22 pm »

I do not want. keep the keyboard keys and have an option to use mouse or not.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 10:59:54 pm »

Reading the guide in the questions forum let me get into the game straight away. Currently DF isn't released, we're all beta testers. I fully expect Toady to get around to dealing with presentation once he has the game functioning up to his vision.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 11:49:59 pm »

Alpha testers as we may be, his livelihood does hinge on the project. Properly supporting the mouse would not be wasted effort
Pages: 1 2 [3]