Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dwarves feed caged merchants?  (Read 898 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do dwarves feed caged merchants?
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:57:36 am »

(Skip to the bottom if you feel too lazy to read this, it's just unimportant background information.)

I've taken a particular liking to a human merchant guard.

This human, whom I call will "Stumpy", was one of the ones who were unlucky enough to be attacked by one of the orc squads during a siege. I'm not sure how he wasn't finished off, as that squad eventually retreated without entering battle.

After the merchants bugged out and left (some wagons and mules did not make it), he was the only one left on the map. I zoomed to his location and saw him slowly crawl up to an orc (who was the last sieger, after being stuck in one spot) and knock it into the mountain, causing it to explode.

He was missing his left lower arm and below, entire left leg, and has red wounds on his lower body and upper leg. He didn't have the "HEAVY BLEEDING", "PAIN", "EXTREME PAIN", or any other tag at all.

So here's what happened, and I refuse to believe any other interpretation:

Stumpy took on over a dozen mounted orcs, losing a leg, a hand, and receiving mortal wounds in the process. The orcs retreated the same time he fell, thinking his wounds will finish the job. Stumpy promptly stopped the bleeding through sheer willpower. He crawled up to the last remaining orc. Then, using one hand, he channeled his anger into a blow so powerful that it propelled the orc into a mountain, causing it to explode. With his power all spent, Stumpy fell asleep.

Anyway, getting back onto topic:

I build a cage trap on top of him while he slept and got a <<human cage>>. He's currently on display in the dining room.

Will my dwarves feed Stumpy and keep him alive? Or will Stumpy eventually starve?

Lord Byte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lordbyte.be
Re: Do dwarves feed caged merchants?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:11:44 am »

IIRC everything in a cage is in stasis and doesn't need food or anything.  They do age, as puppies will eventually grow up.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:20:11 am »

IIRC everything in a cage is in stasis and doesn't need food or anything.  They do age, as puppies will eventually grow up.

I think that's because animals don't eat or drink.

Although, now that I think about it, that troll has been on the edge of my chasm for like 6 years now.

I don't think "external" creatures need to eat or sleep at all.

If that's the case, sweet.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:09:24 am »

I guess your dwarves decided to claim that Human as one of their own? After all, only a dwarf could have the bearded, testecular fortitude to perform an epic stunt like that. Seeing the magnitude of his wounds, they promptly have him placed in a Dwarven Life-Support Chamber, and take him to the most magnificent room in the fort, that he might enjoy all the carvings magnificent and watch the happy dwarves reverantly bowing to him in respect on their way about their duties.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:50:11 am »

He can be your secret anti-orc doomsday weapon!