Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sooo.... anyone seen this happen before? (HFS Warning)  (Read 1274 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Sooo.... anyone seen this happen before? (HFS Warning)
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:40:10 am »

so in year second of my fortress I was happily mining along looking for the underground river, when I struck the BOTTOM of a HFS area. haven't mined out any "special" stone or anything, and yet with a masive pop of 46 I get teh king two years later. (already had the dungeon master but no other nobles) and this is in the fourth year of this fortress, I have only gotten two caravans, gotten sieged by the elves, (first winter but not since) and have only *just* gotten metal working and a dining hall going. (until this year I only had 25 dwarves)
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Sooo.... anyone seen this happen before? (HFS Warning)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:58:28 am »

Wait a sec- so HFS is not in the deepest level by default?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:10:44 am »

There is always a vertical tunnel from the main HFS chamber to a bottomless pit on the bottommost layer, but the main HFS chamber can be some distance above the bottommost map layer.  So it is possible to be mining around on the bottommost layer, hit the glowing pits, and get the mysterious chamber message without ever having seen the 'special' stone..
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:14:18 am »

exactly... in this case  I was 5 levels below the surface, and 15 from the bottom of the map. I hit the very bottom most layer of the pit (it was 4 levels tall) I.E. This pit was nearly at the surface.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:59:44 am »

Never seen that happen before. It would have been funnier if you hit the top with your starting 7

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »

hey... if the HFS was only one layer down, could you shoot down and use demons as target practice?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:56:22 pm »

i think thats a potential exploit any time you open the pit from the top.  in one of the old dev notes, toady said they would just sit there and be shot at.  this may have been fixed in later versions though, now that some of the demons fly.

but yeah, if you dont have any flying demons, then all you would have to do is mine around the top of the pit and send in the marksdwarfs.