Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Copper to Iron  (Read 1011 times)

Zankaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Copper to Iron
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:58:15 pm »

Just started making new weapons since I ran into a vein of iron ore and made some iron picks. Was wanting to know how I could get my two legendary miners to stop using the copper picks I started with and to pick up the Iron picks.

Ive tried setting the copper picks as forbidden in the stocks menu but they kept using them, and tried setting them to melt but nobody did anything.

Watched about half of the cpt.duck tutorial videos but dont remember him mentioning how to do this in the videos ive seen so far.
"Hesitation leads to disaster" - Kishimoto
"Courage imperils life, fear protects it" - da'vinci
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu
"In death all things appear fair" - Homer
At one of my older forts, I had a cat with a kobold kill to it's name, I locked a kobold into a small pit and then kept tossing cats in till it died.....For Science!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Copper to Iron
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:07:10 pm »

Turn off their mining labors and they'll drop the picks. Then you can forbid whichever ones you want and then turn their mining labor back on. It should work.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

purplefuzzythings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:15:24 pm »

Why do you even want to change picks? Pick material only affects the damage they do, not the speed of mining.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:26:54 pm »

Maybe because Z wants them to be armed as well as equipped.

Deactivating their mining doesn't always do it. You have to deactivate it while there's mining to be done - then they drop the pick where they stand, which might be a diff problem.

At worst, you could Activate them for the military, station them where you want the pick dropped, then order them to use some weapon other than "unarmed" (which, for miners, is the pick). 

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:45:14 am »

Swapping gear is always tricky.  Albedo's suggestion is a good one.  Here's hoping the new squad dynamics include better control over hardware.  I hate building fifteen exceptional steel axes and then sending my guys into battle only to realize they're swinging silver and bronze gear from last year.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Zankaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:18:56 am »

Why do you even want to change picks? Pick material only affects the damage they do, not the speed of mining.

oh? well nevermind then.
"Hesitation leads to disaster" - Kishimoto
"Courage imperils life, fear protects it" - da'vinci
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu
"In death all things appear fair" - Homer
At one of my older forts, I had a cat with a kobold kill to it's name, I locked a kobold into a small pit and then kept tossing cats in till it died.....For Science!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 12:31:47 pm »

read the wiki.  All kinds of interesting details like that in there.