Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clearing stones (or other debris)  (Read 783 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clearing stones (or other debris)
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:16:17 pm »

I'm sure there have been dozens of suggestions on this topic, but I was just watching a dwarf build a trade depo and it gave me an idea for a simple way to make all those rocks less annoying to deal with.

I noticed he automatically cleared the rocks that were in the way before he started. Why not just let us do the same thing without making a building?

At first I was thinking a designation, but it seems like those are usually handled one space at a time, so making sure they dump the rocks completely out of the area instead of just moving them around would require a different kind of handling.

Some other possibilities:

1. A virtual building (a "clearing"). It would and would require no skills, material or time to build. When finished, it would do nothing.

Pros: Should be super simple to implement. (Maybe even moddable?) since regular buildings already incorporate clearing.
Cons: Hackish. You couldn't build anything else there without removing it first.

2. "Clear area" activity zone.

Pros: Probably the most versatile.
Cons: Zones are a little annoying to use. Probably more work to implement.

3. Automatically clear stones from (non-stone) stockpiles, which are the only place the really hurt anything, AFAIK.

Pros: Automatic.
Cons: Least versatile.
Akur Akir Akam!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing stones (or other debris)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:20:05 pm »

Good suggestion. Shame a simple search turned up the same suggestion from a week or two ago.

SEARC FUNCTION. USE IT.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:44:43 pm »

Good suggestion. Shame a simple search turned up the same suggestion from a week or two ago.

SEARC FUNCTION. USE IT.

::) I did try, it's a little hard to search for words as common as "clearing" and "stones". If you could link me to the pevious topic, I would appreciate it.
Akur Akir Akam!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »

SEARC FUNCTION. USE IT.

We's gots to be nice to the new users...  Tell them politely

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:44:41 am »

You might also try to make us look literate, if you really want to go the extra mile.

Sorry, it's late and I'm tired, but I still shouldn't have said that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:47:23 am by Felblood »
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 12:57:25 am »

SEARC FUNCTION. USE IT.

Hi, I'm new.  I don't see any SEARC options in the forum menus. I think it would be great if hauling was improved... mine carts for example, if we could designate specific materials for item construction, tell engravers/decorators what to decorate with, if we could have bigger sieges, if we could control immigrant numbers, and the economy was fixed.

Oh, and I want anvil traps and to be able to set job priorities for each individual dwarf. And pathfinding needs to be sped up, it drains too much processor time.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 05:57:06 am »

Hehehe
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:47:50 am »

The problem with searching to see if topics have been mentioned before is that most of us who come up with the same idea give it a slightly different name. So either you do many many searches with various keywords or you do a very very general search (like "stone") and sort through the hundreds of results.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 01:23:11 pm »

A few more thoughts on (my take on) a "clear" command. In addition to objects, why not include boulders and saplings? It's somewhat unintuitive that boulders have to be "smoothed" and there doesn't seem to be any straight forward way to get rid of saplings at all.
Akur Akir Akam!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 03:26:07 pm »

Or you could be like me, cruzing teh forums on a remote device that has no java. All i get is text, no feilds or buttons, so no fancy things like search or quote. Makes things fun.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz