Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game saves  (Read 333 times)

kearneyator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Game saves
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »

I've only been playing for a week and I haven't been able to find an answer here or on the wiki...

My Init.txt is set to seasonally backup which appears to be working.  I have \data\save\region1-spr-201-spr--win-202 (and such).

My problem is when I exit the game Esc->Save Game->Quit it doesn't appear to actually save anything.

The \data\save\current folder has the timestamp of when I exited the game but contains no files.

When I restart, the most recent save is the last seasonal save.

Please tell me I'm just being dumb and missing something here.

Thanks,

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game saves
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:52:51 pm »

The current folder, from what I can tell, holds files being modified during play. If you check it during a game you'll see it usually only has a few files in it at the time. Your save is kept in whatever folder you picked to load from (in this case it looks like you started playing from the region1 save, then loaded the region-spr-201 backup, then the spr backup of that one, and then the win-202 backup). So if you started from region1, generally you want to load from region1 when you pickup again, as the rest are backups with the timestamp appended.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:58:54 pm »

The "save" function on the game is painfully simple.  It saves to exactly the same file name as the one you opened.  Be aware - not the same file, the same file name.

So, if you open Spring 01, and play thru the Summer and Fall auto-saves, and then Esc-Save, it will save to... Spring 01.  (And overwrite that save.)

The only way to save Spring 01 is to have made a copy w/ a diff name - actually, "Copy of Spring 01" is perfectly adequate.

Also, if the game is running and you rename that file (in this case, Spring 01), all hell breaks loose when you then save.  Not right then, but months or seasons down the road - Nemesis Error, restart game. (See stickied thread at top of Bugs subforum.)

My PC is slow, so I often have to save between autosaves.  When I do, I rename those with something significant - and I always do this when a game is NOT RUNNING.  DF can be open to the first menu, but no open game up and running - ever.

1) First, I rename the "Region 1" folder with something more significant - eventually with the name of the fortress, but at first maybe the world name.

2) I make a copy of this, and label it "clean" - I never start a game from my clean copy, but make a copy of that, rename it, then work from that.

3) I add a date to my saves, after I save them and while no active game is up and running.  01.01.01 is day 1, 01.02.03 is the 3rd day of the 2nd month of the 1st year, etc.  So I can actually tell which is which.

4) When done, I rename the save with the new quitting date info.  Repeat.

So, I can look and see "GameName Aut 201", but I also might see my own save 01.07.15 - from middle of the first month of Autumn.  I open that, play, maybe thru an autosave, then note the date and Esc-save - and then redate that save.  When I restart, that's the one I know to open.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:03:03 pm by Albedo »

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:10:08 pm »

Speaking of saves, is there a way to save (like the autosave) without exiting the game?  It's obviously possible (the auto-save does it) but is it possible via a key command?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:29:55 pm »

Nope. Not to public knowledge, anyway.