Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead cats  (Read 344 times)

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead cats
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:08:15 pm »

My miner has adopted several cats. One, I don't know how, got his left paw mangled and his neck moderately wounded, and started passing out and crawling around intermittently. He passed out on a stone-fall trap, and died. My miner is now sad that his cat (outside, in a "i" set garbage dump) rotted away.
How can I prevent this sadness in the future?

Edit: Thanks guys, new question:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm in a temperate environment. What effects will this winter ice have? Will all my fish die? Should I "harvest" this ice for something?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:39:37 pm by durt101 »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Dead cats
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:08:59 pm »

You can't. Cats don't get buried in the current version. Neither do war dogs. All other pets get successfully buried, however.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:10:27 pm »

Murder all cats before they can adopt someone.  Not what you wanted to hear?  Well, you could always assign caskets to allow pets.  He's annoyed that his beloved cat wasn't buried, really.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:15:36 pm »

Don't know if dwarves expect pets to be buried - maybe.  (Couldn't hurt, and it's good practice for the fun to come, ahem.)

Dwarfs get bad thoughts when family, friends or pets die - nothing you can do except try to make the rest of the fortress great enough to counterbalance it.  Problem is that really bad thoughts are larger than the best good thoughts, so clawing and scraping for every "good thought" advantage you can find is a common practice.

Waterfalls, installing the best furniture where everyone passes it by, looking at profiles and pandering to them in a bedroom or workspace, only the best ingredients in lavish prepared meals, zoos (which don't have anything that dwarves DON'T like!), all are examples of going the extra mile to keep morale up for the inevitable emo hammer blow.

Also having your Leader available so they can have a meeting and counsel the bereaved - this may require turning off all other labours temporarily until the meeting can be conducted and resolved, to talk them down from the ledge.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:29:06 pm »

Don't know if dwarves expect pets to be buried - maybe.  (Couldn't hurt, and it's good practice for the fun to come, ahem.)

Dwarfs get bad thoughts when family, friends or pets die - nothing you can do except try to make the rest of the fortress great enough to counterbalance it.  Problem is that really bad thoughts are larger than the best good thoughts, so clawing and scraping for every "good thought" advantage you can find is a common practice.

Waterfalls, installing the best furniture where everyone passes it by, looking at profiles and pandering to them in a bedroom or workspace, only the best ingredients in lavish prepared meals, zoos (which don't have anything that dwarves DON'T like!), all are examples of going the extra mile to keep morale up for the inevitable emo hammer blow.

Also having your Leader available so they can have a meeting and counsel the bereaved - this may require turning off all other labours temporarily until the meeting can be conducted and resolved, to talk them down from the ledge.

Alternatively, make sure there is at least one tall cliff to let your dwarves suicide. You also may, for future reference, have pets that aren't buried dumped away from the main base so your dwarves don't have to watch their beloved pets decay. They still get the first pet death unhappy thought, but I believe the repeated unhappy thoughts from seeing the corpse won't stack up.

On the bright side, dwarves who have pets tend to be happier, if he's adopted multiple cats he will probably start getting "was comforted by a pet" happy thoughts to somewhat counter the death unhappy thought.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325