Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tropical biomes?  (Read 576 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tropical biomes?
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:38:27 am »

Do these still exist?  I was looking for elephants and the wiki said tropical biomes.  So I genned a new world and...no tropical biomes.  Ok next world, no biomes.  Hmm...maybe the next one....ok none. Maybe the next one (repeat 4 more times).  No tropical biome at all.  It's all taiga, tundra, or temperate (woodland, savanna, conifer forest, etc). 

Do tropical biomes still exist?  Are they no longer called 'tropical'?  Perhaps just a temperate area in a hot shrubland or savanna?  I did an experimental embark on a 'temperate savanna (hot)' to test that but all it had was Rhesus maques.  However, perhaps the elephants hadn't spawned yet?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical biomes?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:56:42 am »

They still exist. This thread discusses such a worldgen, with elephants, hippos and crocodiles.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 03:03:18 am »

The problem is that for some reason, they're only created on large worlds.  If you really want a tropical biome, then you'll have to wait for a large world to generate.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:29:45 pm »

The problem is that for some reason, they're only created on large worlds.  If you really want a tropical biome, then you'll have to wait for a large world to generate.

Yah that seems to be it.  Problem is now searching through such a huge map for the one spot that has magma, untamed wilds tropical biome, plus some sort of water supply. 

The search continues.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:23:09 pm »

i find that if you make a large world of size 33x257 instead of the default 257x257, you can search through it a hell of a lot faster when using the finder, but yet still get the advantages of large maps, such as tropical biomes.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:25:46 pm »

Hrm, actually, I think that's right.  It only matters how far north/south it extends, if I remember correctly.  You'd have a lot less choice and you'd probably have to regenerate several times to find what you wanted that way, though.