Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the equipment dance  (Read 571 times)

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
the equipment dance
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:17:31 am »

My 2 miners and woood cutters keep putting their equipment away then running to get it, and the doing it over and over again. I have civ forge if it matters. How do i fix this.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the equipment dance
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:20:43 am »

Do you have both mining and woodcutting enabled for those dwarfs (as in they have both jobs)? I've heard that could be a cause of this. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:29:08 am »

no, but it stopped when i gave them some more work, so right now they can't do anything except mining, or in the wood cutters case cutting.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:46:33 am »

Do you have both mining and woodcutting enabled for those dwarfs (as in they have both jobs)?

That's not allowed in vanilla DF*.  When you click one the other clicks off automatically, because a miner always carries a pick, and a woodcutter always carries an axe - and a dwarf shouldn't be able to carry both**.

(*tho' it might be possible w/ some 3rd party utilities.

(** and a Hunter always carries a crossbow and wears armor - tho' their labour needs no designation, and so they'll be off hunting if there's anything to hunt on the map.)

So long as a miner has the "mining" labour enabled, they should carry their pick around with them everywhere, whether or not you have any tiles designated for digging/whatever.  Sim w/ woodcutting and axes.

This doesn't handicap their ability to carry other items (but I'd think it does count (very slightly) against their encumbrance total, but not enough to worry about.)

The only reason they'd be dropping/picking up should be if the labour is getting turned off/on.

selbram

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:30:49 am »

You said this was the CivMod right, so are they using some of the new items like the Mattock which requires you to set the military weapons option to '2'. Its a two handed item so when they are not working they keep dropping it and picking it up. As for the wood cutters I am not sure, but I would give the 2 weapons option a tweak to see if that corrects the behaviour.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:31 am »

thank you,Equipment dance over

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 07:15:42 pm »

thats all you needed to do? damn, i might put civ forge back on
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 12:37:34 pm »

3rd party utilities, for the win headache.  ::)

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 06:06:10 pm »

I REALLY hope the military upgrades in the next version includes the ability to equip dwarfs like every other video game lets players equip characters. I realize this was a bug with a mod, but vanilla has similar issues...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 10:11:55 pm »

I REALLY hope the military upgrades in the next version includes the ability to equip dwarfs like every other video game lets players equip characters. I realize this was a bug with a mod, but vanilla has similar issues...

Toady mentioned being able to set a uniform for your military dwarves, so that would imply finer control over equipment. I certainly hope so anyway.