Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The forestry business  (Read 615 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The forestry business
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:12:52 pm »

I have a 200+ pop non-magma forest, with about half of a z level (6x6) of forested area.  I pretty much go through this pretty quick (between forging and my food - needing wooden barrel businesses)

I have both legendary wood cutters that I use to clear it out and legendary herbalists I use to clear out the shrubs.  However, does anyone have a preferred way for running siviculture?  The herbalists tend to trample the 0.1hp tree seedlings.  Shrubs can't be burnt with fire, correct?  Not that I have a source of it in any case.  Does burning away the grass encourage more tree growth though?

And is there a way to get the herbalists just to harvest the shrubs and immediately throw the berries on the ground?  I have massive amounts of food of every type, and they waste a lot of time running back to the fortress to drop off their harvests.  If I place wild crops only stockpiles in the forest, they still prefer to run back to the cooking/brewery section of the fortress to drop them off  :-\

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The forestry business
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:35:07 pm »

Use the (Q)uery command over your food stockpiles. This will allow you to control what you can put there. Set your stockpiles to reject wild plants and your gatherers will just let it rot.

If you have underground water I would suggest a tower cap farm, but it sounds like you don't. Tower Cap farms don't have the same issues with herbs growing on them, to my knowledge.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:29:55 pm »

Use the (Q)uery command over your food stockpiles. This will allow you to control what you can put there. Set your stockpiles to reject wild plants and your gatherers will just let it rot.

If you have underground water I would suggest a tower cap farm, but it sounds like you don't. Tower Cap farms don't have the same issues with herbs growing on them, to my knowledge.

Except that when the plants rot, your dwarves go out to pick up the withered plants and take them to the refuse pile.

And tower cap farms have the same issues with shrubs, it's just that the shrubs have limited lifespans because underground plants only grow in specific seasons.

If you're worried about trampling your forest, set up high traffic zones so that your dwarves will limit their movements and hopefully not trample everything around.

I think you're already doing everything you can to maximize wood from the forest. I'd gather plants frequently, but only cut down trees every once in a while.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:13:46 pm »

Also remember that you can make barrels out of any sort of metal.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:20:12 pm »

Also remember that you can make barrels out of any sort of metal.

now don't be doin' that! if i read correct you have no magma. And a barrel need 3 bars of metal. you would be losing 3 wood for every one metal barrel, wood takes longer to grow than food so... better to waste food than wood.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 07:45:13 am »

If you need more tree's try an underground tower-cap farm

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10:48 am »

Except that when the plants rot, your dwarves go out to pick up the withered plants and take them to the refuse pile.

Tip:  You can choose what goes in refuse piles, too.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:16:11 am »

As I lack magma and an underground river, neither of those routes work.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 11:45:52 am »

Push comes to shove, you could use the Growable Trees Mod or start modding smelter reactions.