Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with melting river  (Read 812 times)

arc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need help with melting river
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:16:20 am »

I'm not exactly sure how I should approach this:

I embarked on a tundra, (with, obviously, a freezing biome) which was bordered by a grassland that has 1 embark tile of river. When I embarked, I found the river frozen. Now, I do have a magma pipe, and I do know the trick with melting ice with magma, but I have no idea how to pull that off on the edge of the map. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Need help with melting river
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:55:34 am »

You can smooth the border tiles and carve fortifications into them if there's a stone layer under the river.
Second option is to make the magma flow over the river using the fact that it won't flow off the map.

Like this:
Code: [Select]
Z-1
XXRRRRXX
XXRRRRXX

Z 0
B.bbbb.B
B.BBBB.B
 1    2
X is natural wall
R is river or brook
B is closed heat-safe drawbridge
b is open magma-safe drawbridge
1,2 - apply magma here. plug holes as needed.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:30:00 pm »

Could you build over it to make it "inside" and melt?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 12:55:15 pm »

You can build a magma river under the real river. The heat will transfer up a Z level and melt the water.

If you don't want to do this, then you can build a magma river over the river, but it takes a lot more work. You will have to construct a floor to protect the river, and then use retracted drawbridges to form a barrier to the edge of the map.

On the upside, you don't actually have to thaw the entire river. If you just want water you only need to thaw a few tiles on the edge of the map where the water comes in. Rivers do have directionality to them. One side is where water spawns, the other is where it drains off the map.