Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf name randomly becoming horribly long?  (Read 2187 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf name randomly becoming horribly long?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 04:09:29 pm »

But what happens if you manage to kill all the local leaders? Or is that damn near impossible?

I think they get replaced by generic weapon lords.

EDIT: I should be more specific. I think it goes down like this.

You will be besieged by all the people on 'c'iv menu. When they are all killed,
You will then be besieged by various other combatants, like hunters and guards. When they are all killed,
You will then be besieged by the generic weapon lords.

These are my observations, and they might be inaccurate.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:11:53 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 08:43:19 pm »

Bugger. I wanted to equip my entire military with the elf leather of an entire civilisation. Toady (armok be with him) needs to fix this so we can commit genocide.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 06:46:54 am »

Right now, at least for as long as we can only defend and not attack in fortress mode, I'd rather have foreign civs with unlimited populations rather than the possibility of genocide.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 08:51:46 am »

But what happens if you manage to kill all the local leaders? Or is that damn near impossible?

I think they get replaced by generic weapon lords.

EDIT: I should be more specific. I think it goes down like this.

You will be besieged by all the people on 'c'iv menu. When they are all killed,
You will then be besieged by various other combatants, like hunters and guards. When they are all killed,
You will then be besieged by the generic weapon lords.

These are my observations, and they might be inaccurate.

those are my observations also, with one exception:

i have yet to be besieged by the ruler of 'the lies of dourness', my enemy goblin civilisation. i've killed off all the local leaders in consecutive sieges but the ruler has yet to show up. now they are sending generic weaponlords. will the ruler ever visit? or is he not involved in sieging?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 09:24:10 am »

I've read a mention of rulers supposedly sieges, but I too have yet to see that. Seeing how, at least in adventure mode, rulers of goblin civs can be
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, that would be quite a sight.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 09:25:07 am »

This is how goblins avoid killing themselves off at your fortress, by sending warriors that don't technically exist until they arrive within the confines of your map.

That's cheating!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 09:28:59 am »

That's cheating!

I say let them cheat, if that's the only way we can enjoy unending sieges.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 09:44:36 am »

But what if AlQueada or however the hell you speall it get ahold of this technology?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 09:46:58 am »

"Lots of things" and "being awesome" is stretching it. They get an epithet added to their surname after killing a mere 5 goblins.

Ha! for most of my forts getting 5 kills before being killed or at least horribly mangled for life IS "being awesome"  ;D
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 11:51:10 am »

i've killed off all the local leaders in consecutive sieges but the ruler has yet to show up. now they are sending generic weaponlords. will the ruler ever visit? or is he not involved in sieging?
I've read a mention of rulers supposedly sieges, but I too have yet to see that. Seeing how, at least in adventure mode, rulers of goblin civs can be demons, that would be quite a sight.

If the ruler of a goblin civ is a demon, he never comes to your fortress for some reason. I'm guessing it has something to do with the demon being [ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER], or because he's a demon and not a goblin selection for who shows up at your fortress just passes him over. Or something.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 12:12:33 pm »

You seem to know your shit regarding goblins, so I gotta ask another rather important question:

If I were to cut short my worldgen at year 2 in order to have the largest possible number of megabeasts, would that in any way compromise the development of goblin civs? My best guess is that no, but any relevant input would be nice.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 12:18:05 pm »

You'd still get full blown ambushes and sieges, if that's what you're asking.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 12:55:06 pm »

That's more or less what I'm asking. I've mulled over this topic for a minute now and I think there would only be a difference in adventure, where your goblins (and other civs) most likely wouldn't have expanded past their capitals, right? And I figure that should make no difference siege- and ambush-wise, as you said yourself.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 12:57:01 pm »

I've mulled over this topic for a minute now and I think there would only be a difference in adventure, where your goblins (and other civs) most likely wouldn't have expanded past their capitals, right?

Yep, that's about right. The populations would be pretty sparse, mostly consisting of the dozen or so original civ members and any babies they managed to produce within the first year.
Pages: 1 [2]