Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question on tileset(s) and FPS  (Read 751 times)

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
A question on tileset(s) and FPS
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:17:27 pm »

I heard somewhere that using a tileset causes a lowered FPS. This is the first I have heard of this, yet it may explain why I get a much lower FPS then other people with similar computer specs.

Is this true? Does it lower ones FPS? If so, by how much?

Thanks
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
Re: A question on tileset(s) and FPS
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:26:57 pm »

I have had no personal experience with lowered FPS, but what I heard is that it lowers your FPS very slightly. It could help if you've got very low FPS, to raise it a bit, but turning off weather and temp is much more effective.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:04:42 pm »

Thank you. I was worried for a minute there :)

I don't get super low FPS, I just wish it were higher :P

I did not know that Weather and Temerature would have that much of an impact though, I thought they were only minor. That is useful knowledge, thank you :)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:13:20 pm »

Graphics is just a simple "pixel is here, so we put the pixel here" thing, really very minor.

Weather and temp are actual computing equations that is running for every tile on the map every frame.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:22:37 am »

Uhh, I ask for a point of clarification: do you all mean tileset or graphics set, since tilesets are the deffault display mode for the game; I can't imagine the way the game normally displays graphics slowing it down from when it normally displays graphics...
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:36:27 am »

I'm not an expert, but I don't think that either slow it down more than temp and weather.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:39:47 am »

I've never noticed a significant difference between tiles and graphics. And as of the 40d# versions, the two are the same in terms of what actually happens under the hood, correct?
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)