Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help with a river  (Read 528 times)

Madras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
help with a river
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:53:04 am »

okay so i start by a brook and think, okay i can make an underground river, so i carve one out

___*______
__**______
__***_____
_*__*****
_*_______*
_*_______*
_********
**________

(rough map of how i did it, far from scale)

ANYWAYS the water level is real low so how can i block the flowing stream?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: help with a river
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:19:02 am »

The wiki article on Damming ought to help you out.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:33:05 pm »

okay so i start by a brook and think, okay i can make an underground river...

...how can i block the flowing stream?

First, you can't make an "underground river", any more than you can make a magma pipe.  An UG River is a specific feature, so if you think you can get Tower Caps or snakemen, you won't.

You can make water flow underground, that's easy.  But it's not an "underground river."

Second, a stream/river is not a brook - they're specifically different features in the game.  Probably the same for your purposes (in fact, a brook might be slightly easier to dam), but know they're diff.

Madras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:02:28 am »

sorry, i couldnt find the article on damming on the wiki, and i guess i wasnt too clear on my terminology, i meant a rather large channel that happens to be filled with water by a "brook" that is connected to it (the channel) at two points. thanks anyways guys

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:17:39 am »

sorry, i couldnt find the article on damming on the wiki, and i guess i wasnt too clear on my terminology, i meant a rather large channel that happens to be filled with water by a "brook" that is connected to it (the channel) at two points. thanks anyways guys

What do you mean you couldn't find the article on Damming?  I linked to it!  Just follow the instructions in the article and you should be able to accomplish what you initially asked for.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:28:42 am »

The game has specific terms - to use them as they are commonly used (any flowing water = "a channel") invites massive confusion.  Just making sure we're talking about the same thing.

SG's link is pretty straightforward.  If the link isn't working, go to the wiki and type "Dam" in the wiki search bar.  If that doesn't work, you need more help than I can offer.