Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anything I can do about this?  (Read 905 times)

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anything I can do about this?
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:55:06 am »

One of my champions ( one of two surviving from 20, who all died fighting off two sieges that were literally back to back) was being re-equipped with a full masterpiece set. He already had a masterpiece buckler in his left hand. Now that I ordered him to drop and pick up everything, he now has another artefact shield in his right hand. He still has an axe in his right hand, but he does have both of my artefact armour pieces on him.

Will this stop him from using his axe properly? if it does, how can I get him to drop one or both of them, without killing him? He's one of the original reclaimants of the fort, i'm fairly sure the rest are all dead.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anything I can do about this?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:37:48 am »

You can have him break his hands/arms to force him to drop his things, but that..Well, breaks his hands/arms.

Don't worry though, from my knowledge he will just use the axe without problems.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:20:44 am »

A sort of hackish way to do it is to remove the brain body part in the raws. This will temporarily knock out all dwarves, and forces them to drop their stuff. Once this happens, add it back into the raws, and they'll pick up their items. You may want to forbid the items you don't want them picking up.

I found this out through the Most Interesting  Dwarf in the World thread.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:31 am »

Don't worry about it, i'm pretty sure he'll use his axe properly, but don't expect him to use both shields, even though its possible he will.

In earlier releases, you could see dwarves carrying 2 swords in one hand at times, but i never found out if they fought with both or only one, or switched between the two randomly.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:56 am »

When I want my military guys to drop something I just designate it for dumping, somebody will come by and swipe it from them and haul it to the garbage dump.  They will usually head off to replace their missing piece of equipment.  But in your case the champion should notice he already has a shield.  If he goes and finds a replacement anyway, just mark both his buckler and shield for dumping.  He will then decide to go grab just one shield. 

Then just reclaim the goods after his inventory is sorted.  Thats how I get my military to upgrade their gear.

Of course you will need to have a garbage dump (preferably one that doesn't destroy the garbage immediately), and have the refuse orders set to "dump other".
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:43:37 pm »

But when there's artifacts involved, its not as simple as that, is it?