Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Managing dwarves, immigrants, Moods, and my OCD.  (Read 1297 times)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Managing dwarves, immigrants, Moods, and my OCD.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 02:06:40 am »

I'll be honest, I manage to hold out to about 100-120 dwarves, beyond that it starts to turn into a bit of a smear.  I get kinda rabid about my crafters, particularly my weapons/armor smiths.  quality gear keeps my AxeLords alive, as training them up can be a serious inconvenient.
  While the design of my forts changes with each new Fort, I'm almost ridiculously obsessed with smoothing EVERYTHING except my farms... and I have to admit it drives me bonkers when I have an ore vein running through my living quarters.  I'm also almost convinced the game knows where I'm gonna put my living quarters cause it happens about 80% of the time and I'm only setting up 3x3 rooms for 10 dwarves :p
Demon of Darkness

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Managing dwarves, immigrants, Moods, and my OCD.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 07:01:34 pm »

I have this same problem.

What I do is I always try to work on some kind of mega-construction at all times. I've done quite a few such things: magma falls, giant obelisks, aqueducts, whatever.

The point is to have a side project to distract yourself with. It doesn't matter how useless it is.

And remember, the more impractical, the better. Things like magma execution devices and gigantic towers made entirely out of glass are especially Dwarfly.

As soon as you finish one megaproject, start a new one. If you plan to keep your fortress alive for a while, pick a large starting location. With HFS.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 [2]