Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Training An Underwater Death Squad  (Read 1823 times)

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training An Underwater Death Squad
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 05:12:01 am »

I had a similar problem. I merely stationed 60 champions next to the river, which was full of sturgeons and the likes, and they slaughtered the damned fish. Then I had a miner dig out some staircases and everyone got out themselves, despite several being moderately to severely injured. ^^
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

elkin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 05:18:08 am »

You could alternatively set up an array of catapults oriented on the area, train up a few siege operators.

How? I thought catapults only smash targets on the same Z-level.

Quote from: Lobos
Flood the river with magma.
Sadly, I have none. I also don't have any coal, which is why my dwarves are constantly outdoors chopping down the forest, which is why I needed to wall off the map in the first place.

Right now, I'm building fish-hunting towers near the river, though I do consider it the cowardly and undwarflike solution, dwarvelike solutions being ones involving either axes, mechanisms or a sinister combination of the two. My champions are still dabbling swimmers, so I might try the animal dump instead. I have some 40-50 dogs ready, which I'm going to train, dump into a single-tile pit adjacent to the river along with a dozen tame wolves, and remove a floodgate between them and the river. I expect my indoor waterfall to be complete by then, and hopefully spraying red mist all around.

I also like the fish-killing channel, though I do need some bait to lure them into it. From what I've seen thus far, they rarely move from their spots.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 06:29:54 am »

A fast way to level your dwarves in swimmer is to have said patrolled chamber as a waterfall area:

All floors must be grates, with channel below.
Pump water from channel below grates to the level ABOVE patrolling dwarves, as to allow the water to fall ON the patrolling dwarves, and back into the system to be recycled.

It is the basic principle of a mist generator, and my instructions are by no means to be followed directly. It is a more... fill in the blanks, directional nudge. ;)

This idea should work quite well for your purposes (bonus points if you do it to your meeting area and train all dwarves in swimming).
As a bonus, your dwarves get a happy thought from the mist!
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 04:29:24 pm »

I also like the fish-killing channel, though I do need some bait to lure them into it. From what I've seen thus far, they rarely move from their spots.

Combine with the dog strategy. :)  Also? You can use the pump-dam technique as it uses power instead of exposing dwarves.  Airdrown them in the middle of the river.

Alternately, you can use the killing-channel to divert the river entirely through an area that ends in a grate. :)
Pages: 1 [2]