Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldier problems.  (Read 607 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldier problems.
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:24:37 pm »

Ok so I just got my first siege, but no worries; it looks small and I've been training my soldiers to deal with it, so I didn't foresee any issues.

So I activate my three squads, they gear up, run out of my base, weapons held high...and then just kept running.  Annnd...right now they're sitting in a field...

Now I know you're thinking 'he didn't station them'; unfortunately I did.  Each squad is stationed at my base entrance but some of these guys are still sitting in this damn field.

And every one of my soldiers had to run out to that point, touch the ground, then some returned, some are still sitting in the field.  What's the deal?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier problems.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:29:35 pm »

Try deleting patrol points. If a soldier has just one patrol point, they'll spend all their time standing there.

You might need to do this for each individual soldier.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:31:37 pm »

I did try that as well, but not for each individual soldier.  How do I do it for each one?  Do I have to make them all their own squad or something?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:37:07 pm »

Yes. Soldier station assignments and preferences sometimes get carried over even when being assigned to a squad, I think.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 01:09:28 pm »

Well I went back through with that knowledge and, while I didn't do every single soldier, I figured 'hmm, maybe it's the same for Sub-squads', and it is.  Thanks for the help.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having one commander though if they don't listen to him.

Edit:  Oh and dwarves are hardasses.  One of them is carrying her baby into battle with her.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:14:17 pm by Shiv »

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 01:39:48 pm »

Well I just finished the siege.  There were probably about 12 goblins vs my 11 melee people and 12 crossbow men.

I learned two things: 

1)  My watch towers don't have near the range I thought they would. 
2)  Goblin crossbowmen absolutely wreck meleers

Lost 2 melee people (legendary wrestler and a fairly skilled spearman) and a crossbowman (not sure how though...he was way in the back, stray bolt I guess).  Dissapointing. 

It was kinda neat though in that the fight was right next to the river that runs in front of my fort.  It's totally red now :D

Also one of my hammer dwarves smashed a goblin right into the river.  That's one way to win a battle.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 03:19:54 pm »

Yea, dwarf military AI is buggy at best. Dwarves will listen to to their commander if they don't already have an order from another commander given prior to being reassigned to the new unit. Otherwise, you have to remove the previous order or they'll be total assholes and won't follow the new ones.

Someone should probably cross-post this in the bug reports forum, if it isn't already there (which chances are it is).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 04:39:58 pm »

The military AI has already been completely rewritten.

It'll be very much fixed in the next release. Check the dev notes.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:29:56 pm »

Good (steel, layered) armor is the key against enemy archers.

1)  My watch towers don't have near the range I thought they would. 

If you'd read anything (wiki or here), you should have expected something just under 20 tiles.  What range did they have?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:11:34 pm »

Actually I didn't think to read about archery towers.  I just built them.

The range I got was about 10 tiles or so.  They're 2 z levels tall (3 with the top, where the archers stood).