Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Dwarf Class Assignments  (Read 1282 times)

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Dwarf Class Assignments
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:48:58 pm »

In the vein of being able to give a dwarf a custom nickname and profession, I would like to beg and plead for the ability to set a dwarf's class type/color.

My main reasoning here is if you get a big immigration wave and you receive four fish cleaners, you could assign two of them to become farmers using the labor options, and give them the custom profession 'Farmer', but they'll still be shown in dark blue, still be sorted next to the other fisherdwarves in the unit list, and still be listed as a 'fisherdwarf' when you look at the status with Z.

I would like to be able to manually assign a dwarf to being a 'Farmer' type, despite the fact that he is only skilled with Fish Cleaning. He would show up on the screen in brown, he would be listed as a Farmer in the status, and he would be grouped together with the other Farmers (And shown in brown) in the unit list.

If no custom type is assigned, the unit is assigned the type of their highest skill, just like profession is determined.

In terms of keeping dwarves organized, this would be an absolute GODSEND.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Dwarf Class Assignments
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 07:18:22 pm »

I'd prefer immigrants didn't have useless random skills to begin with  :P

Don't mind me, I guess this would have it's uses either way

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:43:18 pm »

I agree with the OP, it would be a superb feature to have.

I'll add that I wouldn't mind being able to turn on/off flashing, also, since that would make finding specific dwarfs far easier.
For they would be your masters.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 09:36:48 pm »

Definitely.  My "units" screen is so disorganized and useless because I keep cross-training and the like.  Also, the flashing only makes me wonder what it's trying to tell me, and messes with my eyes.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »

I'd prefer immigrants didn't have useless random skills to begin with  :P

Don't mind me, I guess this would have it's uses either way
well look at it this way, atleast you won't feel bad drafting them intp the millitary
Hello Hunam

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 11:17:42 pm »

In one of my last forts one of my Nicknamed Dorfs launced a rock into a goblin mace lord and emediately afterwords got a mood, he made a Gear that depicted the founding of the fort and goblins being struck down. This was clearly divine provodence and he became the Religious leader of the fort.

If I would have been able to change his color to Purple then it would have looked perfect. Plus his statue garden and table slash altar kept him in the Temple. sadly he had the siege engineer colors. Again this will be moot once the next version is finished with custom Nobles.

But now I realize this suggestion might actually be asking for more of an init file to color code your dwarfs so you dont get confused with your carpenter and your spearmen. :-[

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 06:04:59 am »

yep, like when I assign that third cook to the army and then have to troll through my 30+ recruits to find the one with cooking.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.