Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biomes  (Read 295 times)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Biomes
« on: July 10, 2009, 05:31:32 pm »

OK, I was looking for a new location to create a fort. I settled for this 7x7 area

Finder had originally shown the 6x6 from the bottom-right corner. I checked the two biomes to make sure there was sand and saw "Black Sand" in the second one, as you can see.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I decided to bump it up to 7x7 to cover the whole chasm in case there's a GCS there. A third biome came up so I wanted to see what was in it. Completely by chance, I noticed that the second biome (the one with the black sand) bizarrely all of a sudden had a new layer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone else ever notice a biome change just by increasing or decreasing the size of your embark area? The other layer being more sand was good for me, obviously, but I've never noticed that before. For some reason the magma pipe and the tile below that both lack the Sand that is in the rest of the biome ???
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: Biomes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:35:27 pm »

I once got an aquifier in one spot and a chalk deposit in another :/
Hello Hunam

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Biomes
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:40:59 pm »

Never noticed it before.  And it may seem a bit odd at first, but maybe not when you stop to think about it.

Layers are not always identical across all tiles of a biome, there is some variance.  I'd have to guess that the new "sand" layer is a layer that only is partially represented across this larger area, and not in the first 6x6 area you selected.