Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Large Hadron Collider - ready for restart?  (Read 2559 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Large Hadron Collider - ready for restart?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 08:54:03 am »

The good news is that it probably won't destroy the universe.
The better news is that if it does, then murders, rapes and theft will drop to an all time low!

Yes but development on dwarf fortress will also be at an all time low!  :(
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 11:14:43 am »

So will donations.  On the plus side, the entire Power Goals section will be no more!

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 01:41:31 pm »

HELL YEAH! ACCELERATE THE FUCK OUT OF THOSE PARTICLES!

I sigged the FUCK out of that sentence.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 01:45:08 pm »

Ok, just the newsflash and hoping for an discussion? ^^
Post a discussion starter up next time please ^^

What's the problem with this newsflash? I am not hoping for anything, I just wanted to share these informations with the fellas here...that is all.  :)

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 10:05:24 pm »

Nothin' wrong with newsflashes. I was happy to see some evidence of the LHC firing up again, means my BOINC client will finally have something to do other than endless Primegrid calculations. The prospect of scientific breakthroughs that I barely understand are exciting also.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 06:14:48 am »

HELL YEAH! ACCELERATE THE FUCK OUT OF THOSE PARTICLES!

I sigged the FUCK out of that sentence.

You're very disrespectful in omitting the context and author from your sig.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 10:10:40 am »

Agreed.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 04:03:01 pm »

That's the problem with employing nitwits as newsjockeys: they hear a quote like "conditions are going to be like those at the time of the big bang!" and they will print "LHC will cause end of universe with a big bang!", totally disregarding the context.
Sometimes I feel that our 'free' media are as useless as government controlled media (in various unnamed states. If you live there, you will deny it anyhow as the papers said so") not through deliberate evilness will to misrepresent news, just by a lack of quality standards. 

I hope we'll get some usefull data this time around, it has been/is a huge investment.

[rant alert]
On another tack:
does anyone but me think that string theory attracts way too many astrologists?
I frequently read popular science mags such as 'new scientist' , 'scientific american' etc, and the cosmological theories that are published more frequently than satelite launches seem to me in the genre of speculation. More akin to personal auras, than serious models, just less likely to be tested and found lacking.
The most recent example proposes we negate disastrous events by deleting awareness of impending doom. The theory being: if you don't know about the event, you need to re-observe it for it to be true in your universe. Rubbish! Sticking your head in the sand won't negate the universe to a null state. It is just a cheap rehash of solipsist existentialism.
In which case I don't need cosmic strings, for I am God and you are all figments of my demented imagination. And because just  wanting annoyances away does not work, this must be a test I created for myself and my godhood will be reinstated once I break this false reality in which I am weak and powerless by killing random people around me. (see how solipsism does not work and would be very dangerous in the mind of a sociopath?)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 [2]