Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No engraving in soil?  (Read 442 times)

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No engraving in soil?
« on: July 08, 2009, 04:24:08 pm »

I dug out a lot of offices for nobles in the soil so I wouldn't have to deal with rocks. But when I tried to smooth out the floor and walls, it wouldn't let me. In hindsight, that makes sense. What I want to know is, was that all a waste of time? Is there a way to still make these offices fancy? Thanks in advance for any help.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No engraving in soil?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 04:27:45 pm »

You cannot smooth/engrave soil.  Consider statues or constructed floors.  There's a few different ideas.  See the wiki.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:30:21 pm »

Not really.
You can't engrave or smooth soil (or constructed walls for that matter). The offices will still work for offices, but making them fancy is a pretty steep problem. Engraving everything with masterworks is the easiest way to get noble quarters up to snuff.

You could just decorate it really well, if you have them, an artifact per room will usually work well enough. Otherwise, lots of cheap cabinets and coffers. Most of the lower level nobles don't need that much.

Otherwise, you may have to use them for other stuff (soil works really good for stockpiles, cause there isn't any rock debris to deal with)
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 04:31:21 pm »

What sg said.

You didn't waste your time, you got your dwarfs underground faster.  But now it's time to move, and that will be a pain. 

I do this as a policy, and then bust out the walls to use the old rooms for storage or TC farms.

Upgrading to better offices is only a matter of "value", and there are many ways to that end.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 04:54:54 pm »

You could put a bunch of nice fancy furniture in the room. Metal furniture is excellent for that sort of thing.

(In retrospect, it does seem kind of silly to give your nobles this nice room when they will likely die of an *accident* later.)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 05:01:53 pm »

If you create an incredibly excessive room for a low level noble, such as your broker, this will drive the other nobles insane. Just give him all of your artifact furniture and your nobles won't last a season.

Then if you build a pit near your meeting zone, your nobles will fling themselves into the pit!  :D

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 07:08:32 pm »

Train up a legendary blacksmith/mason, leatherworker, bonecrafter, and gem setter. Masterwork statues studded with diamonds and menacing with spikes of megabeast leather and rings of megabeast bone are pretty valuable, should be enough to make your low level nobles happy. Dig out a royal suite in a stone layer though, the king is harder to impress and engraving makes pleasing him soooooo much easier.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325