Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On siege operators and spinal injuries  (Read 482 times)

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On siege operators and spinal injuries
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:28:35 pm »

Hi guys, i have a question (two actually)

My only siege engineer was badly wounded (by a naked mole dog  :-[ ), but after 3 years he recovered. I noticed that he has a brown spinal injury, but i didn't think it mattered. However, he doesn't seem to want fire any catapults or balistas, even when they are loaded and ready to fire.

If the spinal injury preventing him from firing them, or is he just being a lazy (read normal) dwarf?

2. i have set up a noble death execution chamber, which consists of a small room , in the firing line of several ballistas. Will this work? or will they magically pass through the noble or something, without doing an damage?
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: On siege operators and spinal injuries
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:30:15 pm »

1 - is he doing anything else?

2- read the wiki. ballistae are lethal to anything they pass thru.  Won't even slow 'em down very much.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:37:52 pm »

1. No, he either seems to be hanging round the statue garden, or waiting in his room, he not in a party or on a break, and he has [NO JOB], even when theres machines waiting to be fired.

2 ok, thanks  ;D
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:39:55 pm »

1. No, he either seems to be hanging round the statue garden, or waiting in his room, he not in a party or on a break, and he has [NO JOB], even when theres machines waiting to be fired.

Does he have the "Siege Operating" job enabled, or only "Siege Engineering"? The latter will only allow him to build siege engines (and components), while the former is requird to actually fire them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:43:32 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:45:24 pm »

@ Quietust:

Heh, silly me. i hadn't turned siege operating on. Thanks for the help everyone.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »

Siege Operators are officially civilians, so nervous wounds won't stop them firing. Letting the goblins get too close to them will, that's the downside of siege weapons.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:37:24 pm »

Newb here myself but actually had a funny spinal injury story happen

Had a dwarf taken by a few mood and no place to go, I had what I thought was one of everything but the dwarf still just stood around the dining hall going insane.

He finally goes insane and after stripping naked he runs around chasing dwarves until my champion wrestler confronts him and quickly rends him into several pieces.  But lo and behold, the crazy dwarf must have gotten off an ultimate punch and my champ had a brown upper spine injury.

So he, slowly, shuffles back to the barracks and everyone goes back to sparring

I check back a while later and 3 dwarves are in bed, injured.  All three with the exact same upper spine injury as their sparring partner Mr. Bitter As Hell Champion.

Embittered at his injury he took it out on those poor dwarves  =(