Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparta, Dwarven style!  (Read 1735 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Sparta, Dwarven style!
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:28:11 pm »

Okay, here's the deal.
I got to that point where extra immigrants are just a drain on resources.
Rather than forcing them into a "magma cleansing chamber" as I usually do, I decided to make them part of my next megaproject.

THE GAUNTLET.

I'm going to make a giant maze that all new immigrants must traverse in order to enter my fortress.
I have some pretty interesting ideas for traps and hazards. Here are some:

-Pressure plates linked to bridges: Once a dwarf reaches the end of a bridge, it will retract and another path will open. The idea is that the same path will not be used twice in a row.

-Pressure plates linked to cages: Oh the fun I can have with captured beasties.

-Forests of spike traps linked to a single pressure plate.

-Collapsing floors.

Of course, The Gauntlet will be lethal to all but a few very lucky (and likely mortally wounded) dwarves. Only the mightiest shall join my fort. The rest will be good entertainment.

Anyone else got good feedback? I imagine that the DF community can come up with some fun (if not ridiculously elaborate) ideas. C'mon, surprise me.

~Lord Dakoth
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparta, Dwarven style!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »

Okay, here's the deal.
I got to that point where extra immigrants are just a drain on resources.
Rather than forcing them into a "magma cleansing chamber" as I usually do, I decided to make them part of my next megaproject.

THE GAUNTLET.

I'm going to make a giant maze that all new immigrants must traverse in order to enter my fortress.
I have some pretty interesting ideas for traps and hazards. Here are some:

-Pressure plates linked to bridges: Once a dwarf reaches the end of a bridge, it will retract and another path will open. The idea is that the same path will not be used twice in a row.

-Pressure plates linked to cages: Oh the fun I can have with captured beasties.

-Forests of spike traps linked to a single pressure plate.

-Collapsing floors.

Of course, The Gauntlet will be lethal to all but a few very lucky (and likely mortally wounded) dwarves. Only the mightiest shall join my fort. The rest will be good entertainment.

Anyone else got good feedback? I imagine that the DF community can come up with some fun (if not ridiculously elaborate) ideas. C'mon, surprise me.

~Lord Dakoth

This is... interesting to say the least. I was thinking of making a megaproject with the soldiers living in incredible luxury, and the nobles well... in a near godlike way while the normal workers lived underground, in the slums in poor conditions. I may use this in my fortress.. :]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:43 pm »

You will need plenty a meeting hall to usher the dwarves in. Also, you will likely need to isolate the fortress from the world to make sure the citizens don't get out and into the gauntlet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:36:53 pm »

You will need plenty a meeting hall to usher the dwarves in. Also, you will likely need to isolate the fortress from the world to make sure the citizens don't get out and into the gauntlet.

I'll keep The Gauntlet closed except when immigrants arrive, and have alternate entrances.
When it's that time of year, order everyone inside, close the doors, open The Gauntlet, and let the festivities commence.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:50:08 pm »

lol, what happens if you get attacked by a dragon and destroys the whole thing then kills your workforce while your entire millitary is eating?
Hello Hunam

barny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:57:14 pm »

Make sure to post a video of it working when it's complete.

As far as ideas go, you covered most ones I could think of. Here are some bad ones I thought of:

A long hallway with floor grates above magma, so only the toughest make it through without dying of heat. To make it more interesting, chain a GCS to a location where he covers those crossing in webbing, forcing them to further endure the heat.

A long 1 tile wide bridge, on one end is a pit 2-3 z levels below filled with carp and 4/7 water. On the other side is a wall with wall grates. Upon hitting a pressure plate, a wall of water comes through the wall grates in different portions of the bridge; causing anything/anyone crossing to be hurled into a carpy death pit with broken legs.

A beer-bombing chamber. You have a separate room with a pressure plate set to activate in 6/7 water, the room is 10x10 and all tiles are full of 7/7 water except 1. The plate triggers BOTH doors to the bombing chamber. You use the ignition method to create a bin full of burnging lignite, and have a few bins drop in randomly or somehow automatically from an above hatch. A level above that hatch is a 1x1 alcohol stockpile. The alcohol drops down and explodes into the room. Now, scale this up and you have a random opening and closing exploding chamber.

Use a balcony full of Goblin Sharpshooters that immigrants run by.

A hallway full of cages that contain deadly creatures with leg wounds. Create the wounds however you want (Dropping them and hope the right parts break) and let the immigrants run away from beasts that are slightly slower then themselves. The only catch, is initially they need to run through them.

Have the area that they initially gather into 1 large locked room. Then, release an amount of unarmed goblins 1/5 the size of the immigrant wave. Let the survivors run the gauntlet.

The room before the end of the chamber should be a dwarf on dwarf death arena. You cage up a number of berserk dwarfs equal to the number of surviving immigrants, and have them fight each other to the death!

The final room should be an insanity chamber. Dwarfs who enter are provided with the minimum number of basic amenities to keep them alive (IE: Murky water, occasional food drops from hatches, rotting body drops) and the entire room should be covered in cage traps. Over time dwarfs will all go insane, and can be used to battle immigrants. For bonus points, when they initially enter the room have a weapons stockpile for them. Arm them with no armor; and wooden hammer/other violent and humorous weapons. You can also arm a few with crossbow and bolts/quiver, and when they go berserk release them into the gauntlet on balcony positions overlooking the gauntlet for them to fire on helpless immigrants.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:03:55 pm by barny »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 11:03:22 pm »

lol, what happens if you get attacked by a dragon and destroys the whole thing then kills your workforce while your entire millitary is eating?

Two words: Cage trap.

A dragon would make a nice addition to The Gauntlet, don't you think?

If worst comes to worst, I can always stoop to the level of Save-scumming.

Plus, losing is fun. That is the first rule of DF.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:06:43 pm »

and the orc mod is REALLY fun.
Hello Hunam

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 04:52:14 am »

Be sure to use the one way path to let them in but not out!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 05:48:37 pm »

On the one way ramp thing, you can create down ramps without up ramps by building a floor over an existing dug ramp, removing the up ramp, then removing the floor.

So there you go, you can have just up or just down ramps with minimal effort.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.