Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arts and Arms: A Very Dwarfy Content Mod [[ Pre-release release up!]]  (Read 2134 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile

This is the official thread for my current mod: Arts and Arms, a general content for Dwarf Fortress 40d (and future versions as well, assuming Toady doesn't totally alter the nature of the raws between now and then!)

This mod will, as its name indicates, include new content across the board: Everything from new (and reasonably balanced) arms and armor, to craft goods, to clothing and dyes, to images and figures used in the dwarfy arts.

{{UPDATE: 3rd JULY 2009}}

I've got the first version ready to try out!

Unfortunately, I'm having issues creating a supplementary entity file for the material.
In the mean time, anyone wishing to try out the mod content here can copy the following spoilers.

Save this as item_ana.txt in your raws folder:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A written description of what's in the mods:

My mysteriously inoperable entity_ana.txt file:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:47:34 am by Tenth Speed Writer »
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arts and Arms: A General Content Mod [[ A work now in progress ]]
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 04:26:10 pm »

sounds pretty cool! i can see those armours as something from the fortress of bones in community stories.

oh, and the trap component sounds cool. dunno how effective it would be though :P

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:11:35 pm »

sounds pretty cool! i can see those armours as something from the fortress of bones in community stories.

oh, and the trap component sounds cool. dunno how effective it would be though :P

Hehe, the trap component I made just for the fun of it. xD  It's not very useful versus armored opponents, but rapid, light, gore damage works as well against soft targets as do whips and scourges, so it should at least be useful in certain situations or in conjunction with harder-hitting traps. As for the damage though, I feel good about where it is now; against an unarmored foe, it hits with the same total force as a single spike trap, spread over three rolls.
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:59:49 pm »

I'd also like to throw something out there while I'm working on the "Arms" part of Arts and Arms:

Ornate armor?

Only slightly increased protection (At most, ten points for chest armor), and significantly higher resource requirements (say, five bars for plate mail) but a notably increased value tag. Good for dressing out your favorite champion axelord, or if you happen to have a high skill armorcrafter, trading with the local humans... or, if you're that undwarfy, elves.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

UPDATED!  ;D

Anyone able to spy what's killing my entity file?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Looking good, matey.

For the entity file, don't you need to put it in with the rest of the file? If you have bits and pieces of entity files scattered about, the game doesn't think ' Oh, these are all part of the same thing', it thinks 'these are all different ,complete versions of the whole thing!'

Try it out. I'm not 100% certain, but it would seem to be the most obvious fix.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whoa?

You can't do that in a different text file... You need to insert them to the [entity_default] file.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ack, I figured so.

Alright, I'm about to go write a short script. One of two things will happen:

Bone vests and luxury plate mail will be had by all,

-OR-

We'll all be reloading our entity_default files.

: ]

... Yes, I know I could just include a complete version of the entity_default.txt file and assume that anyone who would -need- to modify their own would be perfectly capable of doing so...   But why bother being simple when you can create an unnecessarily complex, potentially dangerous alternative? It's just dwarfy enough to work. : D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:50:09 pm by Tenth Speed Writer »

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I've hit a dead end.

I've finally de-bugged (or so I thought) both the item and entity raws.

entity_default.txt:

item_ana.txt:

Unfortunately, I'm facing the issue now that some items which are marked for a given race are not craftable, while others with no discernible difference are. For instance: The Ornate Plate Mail, which bears little difference from the Ornate Greaves save for slot and slot-specific tags, is craftable while the other is not. The same for many other items.

Likewise, I can craft bone bracers without problem, but the upper body armor items have vanished.

What would be the cause of this?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:49:35 am by Tenth Speed Writer »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Ornate greaves' NAME arguments need a closing bracket.

Other than that, I have no idea.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arts and Arms: A Very Dwarfy Content Mod [[ Pre-release release up!]]
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 01:12:06 am »

Bah.. This is getting weird.

Fixed the greaves name, but it seems like it's choosing items at random to include at worldgen.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 04:54:01 am »

Whoa?

You can't do that in a different text file... You need to insert them to the [entity_default] file.

You can if you use the Mod Base. However somehow people keep forgetting to use it.

Bah.. This is getting weird.

Fixed the greaves name, but it seems like it's choosing items at random to include at worldgen.

It chooses items at random for each civilization and the chance is determined by the rarity token you set.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 12:45:44 pm »

Well, that's splendid, but how do you set it then to always allow for a given civ'?