Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More compact bag storage  (Read 663 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More compact bag storage
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:15:13 pm »

I did a quick search and, oddly enough, didn't see anything obvious about this. Given that you can store many bags filled with seeds in one barrel, it's rather silly that each empty bag (or sand-filled bag, for that matter) needs its own space in a furniture stockpile. It'd be nice if they could be stored more compactly, perhaps in bins.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: More compact bag storage
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »

No not just in bins IN OTHER BAGS!!

10 bags to the bag (obviously infinite nesting is prohibited)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 03:19:33 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:36:24 pm »

Containers are a bit tricky. We could solve this problem for all objects by giving them a [bulk:x] tag. Every container would then have a [container:x] tag that says how much bulk it can contain. Containers have a bulk rathing themselves (eg. pretty hight for a box, very low for a bag). The containter would use the bulk rating of the sum of its contents, if that was higher than its own (necessary to fold up bags). Weight is the sum of everything as well, but it can't be folded obviously.

I think all solid objects can be covered with these two tags. Liquids, not to mention gases, are another matter.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:52:37 pm »

Containers are a bit tricky. We could solve this problem for all objects by giving them a [bulk:x] tag. Every container would then have a [container:x] tag that says how much bulk it can contain. Containers have a bulk rathing themselves (eg. pretty hight for a box, very low for a bag). The containter would use the bulk rating of the sum of its contents, if that was higher than its own (necessary to fold up bags). Weight is the sum of everything as well, but it can't be folded obviously.

I think all solid objects can be covered with these two tags. Liquids, not to mention gases, are another matter.

I think I suggested something along those lines in some thread about attempting to "fill" squares with objects, much the same way water fills squares.  I think I used "size" and "space."

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:24:39 pm »

I think I suggested something along those lines in some thread about attempting to "fill" squares with objects, much the same way water fills squares.  I think I used "size" and "space."
Yeah, should work with that too... The DF Suggestions Forum, reinventing the wheel since 2003.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:25:57 am »

I haven't played a lot of roguelikes, but only one I've run into tracks both volume/bulk and weight of your inventory- at least, if you discount the strange ways like limiting the absolute number of stacks/containers (nethack, 52- can be single scrolls or darts, or crystal platemails, or sacks full of platemails...)...and it wasn't DF, it was a rather simple old one (graphics!) called Castle of the Winds.

So yeah, adding Volume attributes (and capacities) would be good- it's already sort of present in the armor layering checks.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets