Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underwater traps?  (Read 808 times)

aklyatne

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of, well, spikes.
    • View Profile
    • Stumbleupon profile
Underwater traps?
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:00:44 pm »

Do traps work underwater?  To clear out an underground river, could I just put traps in the channel I'm digging and then open up the floodgates?  If not, I'll just train some marksdwarves.
Don't even bother with trying to sp-
You have struck Alunite!
-ell my username.  Just type Ak or something.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater traps?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:06:55 pm »

Yes, that's how 13erent caught and trained the War Carp.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:09:54 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

aklyatne

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of, well, spikes.
    • View Profile
    • Stumbleupon profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:08:50 pm »

You can tame carp?  I was clearing the river to fill a drowning chamber; now it won't just be a drowning chamber :)
Don't even bother with trying to sp-
You have struck Alunite!
-ell my username.  Just type Ak or something.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:11:44 pm »

Yep. Found the thread, edited the post.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:30:50 pm »

warcarp?  :o

this must be incorperated to make the awsomest underwater fort ever!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:14:33 pm »

Underwater?  Entirely?  Might wanna mod the dwarves to have gills...otherwise this could end badly.

Also, in the other thread, I don't think they answered the question if a glass aquarium cage trap would hold water.(i'm assuming it won't)

Of course, if the dwarves breath underwater, that isn't much of an issue...man I wish my computer worked right now...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:19:19 pm »

If I'm reading the original post correctly, it looks like the intent was to dig a channel, place the traps, and THEN divert the river through the channel, in that order. If all goes well (note the italics), the dwarves should never have to swim, especially if the channel can be drained later.

Modding dwarves to have gills would be a bad idea; even if they could breathe underwater, they have a hard time pathing through it.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 09:22:52 pm »

If I'm reading the original post correctly, it looks like the intent was to dig a channel, place the traps, and THEN divert the river through the channel, in that order. If all goes well (note the italics), the dwarves should never have to swim, especially if the channel can be drained later.

Modding dwarves to have gills would be a bad idea; even if they could breathe underwater, they have a hard time pathing through it.

Ah, didn't even think of the pathing part.  And yeah, the original thread wants you to do that, then drain the area to get to the cages...then put them in a semi-flooded room with a kennel for training...and hoping they don't suffocate when out of water.