Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Cavern Town: An idea for a fortress  (Read 3381 times)

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Town: An idea for a fortress
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 05:42:58 pm »

would also be need to have a z level completely flooded and then the windows in the stalagmite towers will be an aqarium.

bonus points: add carp.
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 11:47:29 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm just looking at how much work I have on my writing project at the moment and my current page/day count and it's pretty clear I won't be able to start on this for awhile yet. At least several weeks, if not over a month.

However, I won't forget about it, and will let you know when I start work on it. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far; I'm planning on incorporating a good deal of them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:12 pm »

just a link to a similar idea.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2009, 10:19:56 am »

Oh man, that's really cool. I love the cool Gearsun archway on the way in, and the enormous tunnel for wagon access. Very nice flow and asymmetry to the place, too.
This is very much the same sort of flavor I'm going for.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2009, 02:32:38 pm »

Another call for Growers here.  it is an EASY way to generate wealth,  and get lots of trade goods.  When I do this my first two immigration waves are never smaller than 18-24.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2009, 06:58:20 pm »

I just finished digging out the lower floor* on mine, which is the tourist district.
Once everything that's supposedly a natural feature is dug out, I'm going to abandon, change dwarves back to dwarves, and reclaim.

*There aren't really floors, but there are different elevations separated by ramps.
The cavern itself is going to be hollow except for the cave features.

Quick Note: If you're doing this the way I am, the hardest part is probably going to be working with z-levels. When you build a tower, it's usually nice and square. If you want a nice, cave aesthetic, you'll need stuff to be uneven. Stalagmites and Stalactites will have to be done very well or they won't look right. Anyways, good luck.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 06:25:42 pm »

Lymojo is taken by a fey mood!
Lymojo has the aspect of one fey!
Lymojo screams "I must have self control!"
Lymojo screams "I must have time-management skills!"
Lymojo cancels strange mood: gone insane.

Gonna wait until the next version comes out and do it then.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 06:58:05 pm »

if i was gonna do this, i would use stone road all along the bottom pathway, and have the rest of the area be flooded for towercaps and make use of small walls/traffic designations to keep the dwarfs from walking on the plants. also would fill the area with artificial waterfalls and rivers of water and magma. possibly even might make the rivers 'divide' the cavern into different areas, one for most of the housing, one for industry, ect. probably make the magma river wrap around the industry area and have small "forks" from it to feed the forges
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]