Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help me have "fun".  (Read 1854 times)

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me have "fun".
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 09:37:46 am »

In my last fort I used several 'house rules'...I found that they complicate things in an interesting and fun way:
- a maximum of 5 cage and 8 stonefall traps
- there must always be one main access into the fort that is not closed off.
- enemies may only be killed by siege engines or the military. Thus no drowning rooms, invader smashing bridges or other means of mass murder.
- moats must be at least 3 wide and 2 deep before enclosing something
- all moveable bridges need to to be 'powered'. Powered means that you may only raise or lower a bridge if it has an engaged (pulsating) mechanism next to its base (to the side or below). This means you need to construct a lot of complicated power transfer tunnels...it was a lot of fun to rout power all over my fortress while trying to keep access to the 'powersystem' as restricted as possible....
- I used the  goblin mod (neither the thoughest now the weakest goblins...somewhere in between). I was amazed how much this added to the enjoyment (combined with the 'open access')...I had to scramble to train up my military which led to a lot of overall urgency
- workshops: Must be powered (same as bridges) to allow a dorf who is better than 'novice' to use it (=unpowered workshops may only be used by novices or lower)

those are the overall rules....for that particular fort I wanted an immense central hall, about 40x60 horizontal, 12z-levels into the earth and capped by a dome several z-levels high....the hall is ringed by the eating 'ring' which looks down into the pit...two waterfalls thunder down in the central part...the forges open into the central hall as well, showering the feasting dwarfs with sparks and the clangor of hammers...while the captive goblins that are caged next to the tombs (which - of course - overlook the central hall as well) are howling in their madness.

well, I managed to defeat most sieges while still whithin my main entrance, but several times some critters broke through and did wreak quite a bit of havoc

here is the link to the map archive if anyone is interested...
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2928-firegateofmenace
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:39:53 am by TanSerrai »

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 04:34:19 pm »

To report on my own progress, I finally managed to trigger the tantrum spiral by intentionally breaking export prohibitions.  The dwarves killed by the hammerer for dragging fine pewter buckets to the trade depot had lots more friends than the dwarves who'd been killed by goblins -- one of them was a friend of the Mayor's, who threw a tantrum, and it all went downhill from there.  However, that fits into the "playing badly on purpose" category, so, no actual answer to the OP's query there. :)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 06:21:34 pm »

start a community fort and do anything and everything that the members suggest, without question (unless it's how to do it)?

This works great if you want fun, it works even better if you also give the leader a dwarven personality, and use that personality to build the fort around, and respond to anything that happens. Examples: claustrophobic leader demands all rooms to be at least 3x3, 4x4, some size, and roads/paths must be at least (Insert numbers here). Paranoid leader wants at least 10% of all dwarves to be military at all times. OCD leader must have all rooms to be symetric, including every ground tile and wall. Think of something fun for the fort, yet still fitting for a dwarf and in character.

So, you're asked to build a megaproject with magma, highaltitude, hostile creatures, and something wierd that has been requested? Sure, but remember, what the average dwarf would say,

"Safety? What do you mean 'Safety'? Safety is for elves."
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 08:47:26 pm »

In my opinion it would have been better if you hadn't spoiled it for yourself (I am guessing wiki)  The goblin seiges are much more dangerous when you have never heard of them, or when you never knew what was in that pit

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 12:42:18 am »

Build a fort exactly like the ones your parent civ uses and see how long you last with no workshops, beds or dining rooms, doors, traps, or bridges, next to a chasm and magma pool, and with orc mod. I bet less than a year.
Pages: 1 [2]