Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That Eternal Abstract: Justice  (Read 1568 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
That Eternal Abstract: Justice
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:30:20 pm »

Greetings, very new player here, played through most of the Complete Newbie tutorials etc.

I have a question about Justice. I know that using q I can designate a room as being available for Justice (why it doesn't label itself as a gaol or jail like a bedroom I'll never know) via metal cages, and presumably any other cages I place in the room will be accepted as cells. My question is this: how is it possible for me to arrest and imprison dwarves? On the Justice menu is a Soap Maker, and a list of some crimes. His name is in purple (Is this significant? He's not a noble, an administrator or anything of value. I don't think he's dead.) I have a Captain of the Guard and a full compliment of Guards. I want to imprison this dwarf, can I influence this at all?

... adding to the difficulty (he said, mortified), is that the question is a tad, er... academic. Owing to a delusion that I could simply run water right off the map, and a an inability to figure out wells (Second Question: I have a well, over water. I have Health Care enabled on Dwarves. How in the hell can I get water to sick Dwarves?) I am afraid i was forced to restart the map, so I'm really asking my question in the hope that some kind souls are willing to muse aloud about the nature of Justice and Dwarves and my inability to get my Butchers to work.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That Eternal Abstract: Justice
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »

1. YOU don't. The dwarves do that for themselves, for violation of mandates.

2. Make some more buckets. The dwarves will sort the rest out.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:49:33 pm »

The thing is, over several years, I never saw any sign that he was punished. How do I know if Justice has been served?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:01:16 pm »

It will say he has no sentence left to serve when you look under z -> Justice.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:42:07 pm »

If you have a sheriff and/or a fortress guard, they'll force people to serve sentences.

Now, you said you had a jail, so I presume justice was either not enacted, or not a prison sentence, since there was nothing about him dehydrating and starving to death.
Nor did he seem to be hammered, since that's usually fatal too.

He may have been beaten, possibly.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:10:04 am »

If you have cages and a "justice" room then the dwarf will be punished by imprisonment.

Or like I had Dwarven justice for missing a mayors mandate 3 times in a row... Death to all 3 dwarfs.
And no not the Hammerer, just the sheriff with a temper and no jail yet to put them.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 04:59:28 am »

I don't know id this is from a graphics pack I use ( but I use mayday's one, so it should be the same as the tutorial you used) but any name on the justice screen in purple means that dwarf in question is deceased. Check your list of Dwarves again and look for the soap maker, i'm willing to bet he won't be on the "alive" part of the list.

This means he either got beaten to death or died from "natural" causes, if such a word exists in Dwarf Fortress.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 02:48:42 pm »

There are only two true types of dwarf justice:

1.  A brutal hammering
2.  Left chained in a room without booze

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 02:57:05 pm »

There are only two true types of dwarf justice:

1.  A brutal hammering
2.  Left chained in a room without booze

Not true. The hammerer is sent by default if the guard does not administer regular justice, but a beating can be assigned by a noble, which will be administered by the sheriff/guard barehanded.

Dwarves can also be assigned to a metal chain or cage. If they're caged, they will be brought food and water by dwarves with the Health Care labor enabled. If they're chained, they will be brought food and water only if they can't reach it themselves. Put a 1 square food and 1 square booze stockpile right next to a metal chain set to take from your main stockpiles and your imprisoned dwarves will stay just as well fed and boozed as if they were out working. This can also be used to keep imprisoned dwarves happy while chained. Putting a cage with their favorite animal or some well crafted and decorated statues or furniture nearby will let they get admiration happy thoughts, and a table/chair and bed will let them live fairly comfortably while imprisoned.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:45:23 pm »

Exactly

...in a room without booze

So this is under the control of the player, not the dwarves.

If improsoned due to a tantrum, and that tantrum is from a serious bad thought (lost loved one, lost masterpiece, etc), it's a good idea to try to make them as happy as possible so they won't repeat the performance once released.

Note that "being released" is one of the happiest thoughts possible - but still might not be enough. 

You can even check their profile, see if they have any favorite animals, and make a private zoo for them.  Add their favorite furniture or other toys, made from their favorite materials - you have time if you get on it right away. 

(And unless you're pursuing a megaproject, or you've got a tantrum spiral,  it's not like you don't have the time and labour to spare.)  ;)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 03:56:02 pm »

The dwarven justice system is helped greatly by stat-pumping people, and any nobles with hard-to-meet demands having mysterious 'accidents'.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »

Pfft. My nobles don't have accidents. I make sure that they won't get hurt by leaving them in their rooms. Unfortunately I'm terrible at remembering to let them out at mealtimes or to get at the booze :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 09:27:08 pm »

Nobody appreciates humor anymore  ::)