Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Adventure  (Read 622 times)

Uk Uk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My First Adventure
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:20:51 pm »

For my first adventurer I chose a crossbowman. He was pretty successful, too - killed a cyclops, got a nice pat on the back from the mayor. Unfortunately the mayor didn't feel like providing any other reward for his efforts - not even more crossbow bolts to shoot with.

So he went and hunted down some... amulets lying around in the grass. He ended up with quite a few, some masterfully crafted with brilliant decorations as well. Stopping by the nearest village, he decided to look up a shopkeeper and trade in his amulets for some bolts, and maybe some food as well.

The shopkeeper, however, had exactly one type of good available - more amulets. So he supposed he would sell the amulets instead, and was offered a handsome amount, which he readily agreed to.

A few minutes later, he walked out of the shop - and realized that he hadn't gotten anything from the deal. Apparently all he was left with was a slip of paper saying "IOU 1432☼".

Great.

He goes back - and look! there was the amulet lying on the ground.

So he picks it up, and tries to trade with the shopkeeper again. Who wouldn't talk with him any more.

What? Oh, so he was now a thief, was he?

In a fit of rage, he lashes out against the shopkeeper, nearly killing him - stopped at the last moment by a lasher who comes from behind, and kills him.

R.I.P., my first adventurer.

Okay, so I lied. This is about two adventurers, because I was feeling adventurous today.

For my second adventurer, I decided upon... yet another crossbowman. First quest? To avenge the death of... my first adventurer.

Apparently the news that he had been a thief and an attempted murderer hadn't reached his old mayor. So my new adventurer sets out towards the neighbouring village where he had died, looking for one Setoc Umbrabristled the Setoc Umbrabristled.

Soon, he discovers the corpse of my old adventurer. He scours the village for a whole morning - no Setoc Umbrabristled. Not in the shops, not in the tavern, not in any of the houses he searched - which was pretty much all of the houses in the village.

He began to get frustrated. It was then that he heard sounds of confused fighting - but due to a hearing problem common to adventurers he was not sure where it was coming from. (I, of course, received a constant stream of announcements about this ear flying off into the sky or that pancreas getting skewered in a shish-kebab - but I was just as clueless as he about where this fighting was taking place.)

Hurriedly he ran clockwise arround the village, looping bigger and bigger circles in hopes of finding the location of this seemingly epic battle. Stopping by the tavern he found a dozen or so of the townfolk unconcernedly sipping their ale and playing with their children (who knows what they were doing, letting their children in the tavern). After perhaps an hour of searching he still had not found out where the battle was taking place - and the sounds of fighting were already dying down.

Tired and annoyed, he walked south, towards the exit of the village. After a while he ran into a giant stone complex - a huge block that had previously seemed like a wall guarding the village, but now apparently a building of some sort. Giving it one last go, he steps in - to find that all is normal.

Drat. But wait - there's a set of stairs in one corner of the near-empty building. He climbs it, and to both his horror and fascination he finds at the top no less than 14 bodies, with an unknown number in the dark recesses of the massive room. The lone surviver that he can see is a small (dry-eyed) girl standing in the centre.

And yet he (and I) still do not know the cause of all this fighting.

Would anyone like to help?  ;D

(I have a screenshot... just don't know how to attach it. Kinda surprising, didn't think I'd see this mass conflict in adventure mode.)

Edit: I believe the final death count was 28 people.  :o

Edit2: I just realized - free bolts! Yay!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:34:33 pm by Uk Uk »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Adventure
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:47:49 am »

1. press esc
2. click retire
3. go to the legends of that world
4. look up village
5. scroll down to bottom
6. Look for recent deaths
7. congratulations, you know who your mystery murderer is

Also, in each town there is a weapon shop, armor shop, food shop, clothes shop, and useless crap shop, and when you sell something for money, the money will appear next to the coffer next turn
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:51:51 am by Rashilul »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:08:57 pm »

These sort of random genocides happen every now and again. My retired legendary adventurer occationally seems to snap and decapitate children enmasse. No one seems to care either (or they're all afriad to say anything) I once visited his house only to find a half dozen bodies and a floor covered in bloody vomit.

I can only assume it was a party gone wrong

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:26:12 pm »

It's a good chance there was a loyalty cascade caused by the death of your first adventurer.  Setoc killed you, and became an enemy of the civ, which was basically the rest of the town.  Bob attacks Setoc, and also becomes and enemy of the town.

WEEEEEE

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:34:37 pm »

It's a good chance there was a loyalty cascade caused by the death of your first adventurer.  Setoc killed you, and became an enemy of the civ, which was basically the rest of the town.  Bob attacks Setoc, and also becomes and enemy of the town.

WEEEEEE
Loyalty cascade?

I believe my friend Jordan Freechmen told me about those during our stay in Dark Plateau.