Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad avoidance  (Read 473 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Squad avoidance
« on: July 13, 2009, 04:30:08 pm »

Sometimes I want all of my dwarves to retreat to the saferoom at the bottom of the fortress, so I assign them all to a squad and station them in the basement.

However, there are always some dwarves who refuse to be put in a squad under a certain dwarf. They'll go in a different squad, and are fine if that is then merged. Anyone know why?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad avoidance
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:32:02 pm »

Champions will only serve under champions.  Heroes only under heroes and champions.  Mostly likely that's your issue.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:33:01 pm »

And iirc a trained dwarf will not serve under a "recruit" (one w/out a single rank in a weapon skill or wrestling.)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:22:21 am »

If dwarf A's highest military skill is higher tha dwarf B's, he will not serve under the other, UNLESS (this is partially a guess, but seems to hold true for my forts at least) they're both champions. AFAIK, any champion will serve under any other.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme