Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Horde!  (Read 1654 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Horde!
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:21:27 pm »

Never gonna happen, but I can dream. I demand a Goblinate Horde. No, not your regular Goblins. These attack in huge numbers and don't care for Death. Got a moat? No problem, we'll just have an army of Goblins swim in and make a wall of corpses! A wall? Well we'll build  a tower where other Gobbos are crushed from our weight! You have champions? Swamp them, my tiny brethren! Arrows are useless, they just help build the Goblinate Structures! I can dream, can't I? T_T
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Horde!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 12:05:29 am »

Hmm...pretty sure you could mod something similar in. Question, though:how would you get them to survive world gen? It seems to me they would self-exterminate fairly early on without admantite everything.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:34:07 am »

For the Horde!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:37:13 am »

Draw your sword and fight the horde!

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:58 am »

Hmm...pretty sure you could mod something similar in. Question, though:how would you get them to survive world gen? It seems to me they would self-exterminate fairly early on without admantite everything.
Dunno, that's what I'm worrying about.
FOR THE HORDE!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 10:12:06 am »

just make the reproduction rate excessively high. and make them be born fully mature.

also, until tiles only have a set volume, you'll just end up with 300 or so corpses in one tile

magma moats and underground defenses would be the way to go, unless of course they are magmaproof

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 03:36:11 pm »

just make the reproduction rate excessively high. and make them be born fully mature.

also, until tiles only have a set volume, you'll just end up with 300 or so corpses in one tile

magma moats and underground defenses would be the way to go, unless of course they are magmaproof
Magmaproof Goblins are an added Bonus. I think. Well. Also, reproduction Rate needs to be huge. I mean, Though this would completely kill DF, HUNDREDS of Goblins in a Single attack.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 04:30:08 pm »

hmm... with a bit of programming nouce you could just make goblins with an inbuilt "build ramps over unnatural walls" preference. Some creatures have meanderer, food, items, etc... why can't you make goblins that automatically spawn with stone, run up to any wall/trap/moat and build over/under/round/through it?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 01:45:17 pm »

hmm... with a bit of programming nouce you could just make goblins with an inbuilt "build ramps over unnatural walls" preference. Some creatures have meanderer, food, items, etc... why can't you make goblins that automatically spawn with stone, run up to any wall/trap/moat and build over/under/round/through it?
That ruins the fun of a bridge of corpses. And a ladder of corpses.  And an endless onslaught of Creatures that don't fear death.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 04:17:21 pm »

Siege improvements, meaning siege towers, tunneling, and so on, are up on dev_next, and will probably get worked on for one of the versions following the upcoming release.

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 08:06:15 pm »

KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

LINGRUSH

Am I the only one?
//The Knight of PsYDoNiA\\
\\     .:JoiN The Order:.   //

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 08:11:02 pm »

It wouldnt mean death to the fort, it would mean death to the CPU.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 09:40:09 pm »

Strangely Xanthish, I have to say.

Might be a fun mod idea.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 12:57:16 pm »

Strangely Xanthish, I have to say.

Might be a fun mod idea.
And Xanthish being...?
Explain please. I actually got this idea from 300's Walls of Bodies. Arh. Also, not just a fun mod idea, it also is a fun mod idea. You see, fun mod ideas are different from fun mod ideas in the way that they are fun mod ideas.
After finding that a wall of corpses was fun, I thought about their application as siege units. Besides, who WOULDN'T love a ladder of Corpses in DF?

...Oh.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:11:05 pm by PenguinOverlord »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 04:16:21 am »

Stones as catapult ammunition are so last century. If goblins started making encampments in your territory then you could fire corpses over to create miasma, eventually making them so unhappy that they tantrum spiral and kill themselves!

God, this game just gets better and better.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.