Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maximum number of large predators possible  (Read 552 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maximum number of large predators possible
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:29:38 pm »

I'm fiddling around in the raws, and noticed that supposedly I can only have ONE (maybe two) groups of large predators on the map at once. Is it possible to get around this by putting them in rivers (like alligators)? Or would it be necessary to make them subterranean in order for me to get multiple groups? I'm making quite a few savage creatures as an attempt to make savage areas much more dangerous, so I'd like to know if there is a workaround.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum number of large predators possible
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 02:37:24 pm »

"Predatory" surroundings can have at most one group of carnivorous creatures (which excludes hippos and elephants). "Savage" surroundings can have up to two.

I'm not sure whether river creatures count towards this.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:19:36 pm »

Thanks, I'll give the river and subterreanean tags a try and see if that helps. On another note, is there a way to control the behavior of a creature so that it stays in the water most of the time and only comes onto shore occasionally?
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 03:23:11 pm »

Thanks, I'll give the river and subterreanean tags a try and see if that helps. On another note, is there a way to control the behavior of a creature so that it stays in the water most of the time and only comes onto shore occasionally?

No, I don't think so.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »

Ah okay, thanks for the help. One last question: is it possible to give a creature a different swim speed than its speed on land?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 03:36:20 pm »

Yep.

[SPEED:n] is for land speed, [SWIM_SPEED:n] is for swimming speed. I think they both use the same system, you can read about it on the wiki if you don't already know about speed calculations.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:29:37 am »

They do both use the same system.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:53:30 am »

hm, well it appears that, some way or another, rivers *can* get around the restrictions on large predators. Namely because I was able to have 3 different large predators on the map-but that may have been due to having selected the maximum grid size. The rest of it was pages upon pages of hippos, carp, and milkfish.