Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Question] Building a hydraulic dam.  (Read 781 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
[Question] Building a hydraulic dam.
« on: June 24, 2009, 07:34:48 am »

Hello all!

In the developement of my new fortress (I'm using a Sci-Fi mod) I just felt the need for a millstone. But who say Millstone say power (I could have used a quern, but Millstone are said to be faster).* So I decided to build a hydraulic dam, complete with FTW (Flood The World) system, waterfall, drowned village, and power wheel. However, I need a few advices.

1) I will need to pump water up to fill the dam. However, I don't seem to possess a aquifer, so would the brook produce enough water? I'm afraid it would evaporate quite quickly (Armok damn hot maps).

2) Will the water flow out by the map's border? If yes, I would have to buy another wall at the back of my dam, and it would look like a cistern...

3) Can Magma power water wheels? If yes, that would be SO awesome. :p

Well, thanks for your help, and excuse me for my broken English, but I'm no native speaker.

* Of course, a single windmill would have been sufficient! But we're playin DwarfFortress!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

parus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [Question] Building a hydraulic dam.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:42:56 am »

1. I've been able to get enough water from brooks for a lake/dam project. I don't know how big you're planning this though, but I'd assume you'll be ok.
2. I think it will, yes. If you don't like the cistern look, try finding a mountain site where there's a valley you can fill up, for that natural feeling.
3. As water wheels are wooden, I'd assume the magma will destroy the wheel.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:49:34 am »

1) I will need to pump water up to fill the dam. However, I don't seem to possess a aquifer, so would the brook produce enough water? I'm afraid it would evaporate quite quickly (Armok damn hot maps).

Anything but ponds (with a murky pool tile) and underground lakes (?) are infinite sources of water. So yes, your brook will provide enough water. If you use enough pumps to empty out the brook into a (very) small cistern, which can be enlarged via a system using floodgates and levers, it should be feasible.

2) Will the water flow out by the map's border? If yes, I would have to buy another wall at the back of my dam, and it would look like a cistern...

Yes. Water flows out of the map, so yes, you'll need a wall there. a solution may be that instead of pumping the water up, you do it the way it actually is, by digging out the area around the brook, flooding it, dig it out the way you want the brook to go after the water left the dam and then using the fortifications exploit (engraved fortifications on the last tile of the map) to drain it again. But be warned: pressure might be a spoil in this plan.

3) Can Magma power water wheels? If yes, that would be SO awesome. :p

This is unknown; but calls for...
Experimentation!
My guess: no. But it might be because it isn't flowing, because wood burns (so mod in a smelter reaction that makes iron 'wood'), or because it's hardcoded. Anyway, post the results.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:17:10 am »

I don't think magma wheels will burn, since they're above the magma tiles... Anyway, I'm gonna try this out.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 09:05:11 am »

Water Wheels appear to be hardcoded to only work with water.