Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't scroll in newspapers?  (Read 892 times)

Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't scroll in newspapers?
« on: July 15, 2009, 12:21:13 pm »

So I've never been able to scroll in any of the newspaper articles that pop up (haven't made enough money yet to run a Guardian, so I'm referring to the local paper), sometimes with silly headings about Ronald Reagan's new biography or OPEC being crazy, but also when the LCS does something newsworthy. The text just kind of cuts off at the bottom, acting like the story continues, but I can't figure out if I'm supposed to be able to read the rest or not. There are no scroll bars or anything to indicate the page continues and toggling full/windowed screen doesn't change the lack of scroll.

The arrow keys, WASXD (Why no S??), Page Up/Down, and brackets don't do a thing. I had my configuration set to have Page Up/Down replace the brackets and tried switching it back to the initial setting -- no change. =(

Just a little setting straight would be sweet.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't scroll in newspapers?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:49:38 pm »

Newspapers are meant to just be headlines. Lack of scrolling is working as intended.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Can't scroll in newspapers?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:15:41 pm »

E. Albright's response is the answer I've given in the past to this. That isn't to say that it wouldn't be nice to be able to see more of the article, but that would create a couple of ramifications. 1) I'd either need to implement scrolling, or a paging system for it, which would be work, and 2) it would create a double standard with all those news stories for which there's only enough content to fill out the page, and nothing more. If I could assign some poor junior programmer the job of implementing paging or scrolling newspapers, I might do it, but otherwise it's too much trouble for me, without much gain beyond satisfying brief curiosity.