Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whips, Daggers, and Pikes in fortress mode?  (Read 658 times)

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whips, Daggers, and Pikes in fortress mode?
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:05:20 am »

I've noticed that when I modded dwarves to be able to make pretty much every weapon, that Dwarven Lashers start showing up with caravans, but I can't figure out a way to let my dwarves use them. Is there any way to make things so that anything other than the base weapons can be used in fortress mode, like if you were to mod fortress mode to be played by humans? Or is this hard-coded?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:07:45 am by Justyn »

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Re: Whips, Daggers, and Pikes in fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:09:25 am »

Hardcoded.

Currently, you can only use all the weapons that dwarves can default-use.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:24:21 am »

Well, actually I think you can use any weapon that uses the same skill as 'nilla dorfs use, because of how the military weaponpref works, and they look for weapons with that skill. (I think 'nilla dorfs can for this reason use, but not make, scimitars, by this guess)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:02:24 am »

Well, actually I think you can use any weapon that uses the same skill as 'nilla dorfs use, because of how the military weaponpref works, and they look for weapons with that skill. (I think 'nilla dorfs can for this reason use, but not make, scimitars, by this guess)

yeah this.

You can use other weapons if you reset their skills and then change the names of the professions, but then you lose the original profession (and you can't change what the skills themselves are called, only the profession name).

By this I mean, change bows to use the crossbow skill. Voila, your dwarves can now use bows if they select 'crossbow' !

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:58:20 pm »

Hm, you might need to change the arrows along with the bows.  And having two skills on the same weapons might be possible (thus allowing two professions to use the same weapon).

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:47:22 pm »

HEY!  Wait!  If you get the latest version of Dwarf Manager and mess with the xml files it comes with to add in the extra weapon types you can force your soldiers to use odd weaponry.  The only problem however is the odd-weapon-associated professions aren't controllable at all, so you need to use Dwarf Companion's changeProfession.exe to make them back into Recruits once they get skilled enough.