Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2D vs 3D What's your opinion?  (Read 2780 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: 2D vs 3D What's your opinion?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 02:01:47 pm »

3d. There is nothing like throwing my prisoners from a 30 z level tower into a magma pit as sacrifice to Armok.

This!  :D

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 10:56:07 pm »

2d has danger which the 3d honestly is lacking in while 3d is more of a sandbox where you can go all out and build almost anything.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

galaban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 12:27:54 pm »

I just played (lost) my first 2D game (23a).  I found that in many ways it just plays like a different game.  There's definite pro's and con's to each of the games.

When playing 2D, I fmissed how compact you can make a fort using z-levels.  I missed the fact that you could build traps, bridges, etc. outside.  (That restriction seemed arbitrary to me.)  I really, really missed the ability to dump and forbid items.  That is something that I don't think I can live without!

However, I loved the fact that plants don't grow in winter.  I like the idea of the annual (really, quarterly) flooding of the underground river.  I really enjoyed the 7X7 (minus one) limitation that cause cave-ins.  Those are the three big features from 2D that I wish was in 3D.

Overall, I like 3D more, but 2D seems more challenging.

Pages: 1 [2]