Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with making plants from smelter  (Read 1120 times)

Tepoztecal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem with making plants from smelter
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:04:25 am »

I was able to acquire all plants except sliver barb and whip vine, so I modified a reaction to create those plants.

Here's the reaction I used:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, I can't plant the seeds once the plants have been brewed/milled. I can plant sun berries despite the surroundings being Wilderness, so I'm pretty sure the evil/savage part is not the problem.

I tried building a roof over my aboveground farming area - that didn't work. I tried trading the plants and seeds to a caravan, then buying them back - that didn't work either. How do I make the barbs/vines plantable?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with making plants from smelter
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:51:16 am »

I was able to acquire all plants except sliver barb and whip vine, so I modified a reaction to create those plants.

Here's the reaction I used:

However, I can't plant the seeds once the plants have been brewed/milled. I can plant sun berries despite the surroundings being Wilderness, so I'm pretty sure the evil/savage part is not the problem.

I tried building a roof over my aboveground farming area - that didn't work. I tried trading the plants and seeds to a caravan, then buying them back - that didn't work either. How do I make the barbs/vines plantable?

should be

[PRODUCT:100:10:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:SLIVER_BARB:NO_MATGLOSS].

Also, biome *does* matter. You won't be able to plant sliver barb if you don't have an evil biome somewhere in your embark.

Tepoztecal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 06:07:42 pm »

Thanks for the reply, but it didn't work. Still can't plant them.

Here's a thought - if I sold the seeds to traders, would their civs start planting those crops themselves? I'm thinking sell seeds, wait a year, buy non-bugged crops from the caravan. Would this work?

Also, are you sure biome matters? As I said, I can plant sun berries despite not having a single tile of Good on my map.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:49:37 pm »

Resource tracking like that won't be implemented until Toady starts working on the Caravan arc, sadly.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:37:46 pm »

This could be related to that bug where traders turn up with seeds that are unplantable until they arrive with an item made from that plant. Try smelting the plant products themselves -- you won't be able to use them because they'll just make a mess in the smelter, but merely popping them into existence might be enough. The game should have recognised the existence of the products you made... but then it should have recognised the seeds in the first place.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tepoztecal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 11:14:50 pm »

This could be related to that bug where traders turn up with seeds that are unplantable until they arrive with an item made from that plant. Try smelting the plant products themselves -- you won't be able to use them because they'll just make a mess in the smelter, but merely popping them into existence might be enough. The game should have recognised the existence of the products you made... but then it should have recognised the seeds in the first place.

Do you mean I should make the reaction produce drinks, dye and flour? How would I do that?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »

Drink is:

[DRINK:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_ALCOHOL:plant ID]

Not 100% sure about flour and dye. Since they're available on embark you can figure it out from an embark profile, but one product will be as good as another.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tepoztecal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:13:50 am »

I tried this reaction:

It didn't work. I'm going to assume you have to acquire plants legitimately or not at all.

Thanks for all the help.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:58 pm »

Ah well, worth a try.