Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making an egg-shaped fortress.  (Read 1034 times)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
Making an egg-shaped fortress.
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:29:18 pm »

4x4 on Embark Map, magma, brook, chasm...aah, what a wonderful place.

Aside from the goddamn giant bats. First time I've EVER had to reclaim. Fuckers.

Anyhoo. Now that I have a huge force of dorfs working here, I need suggestions on a nine-level egg-shaped fortress. I have the first level of the "egg" carved out, and above it I have two "living" levels for the dorfs who are going to be building the thing.

The plan is, each level will have a purpose-the fifth and therefore middle layer will be the dormitories, and proper rooms for the nobles. The first layer will be the magma furnaces and metalworking areas, because that's where the top of the magma is.

Aside from that, I haven't really decided on much, and hunting down and deforbidding all the items that got strewn about so the kobolds don't get 'em is irritating me.

Here is the first layer of the egg; if someone could provide me a good digging guide (ASCII will be fine, as long as a key is provided), I'd much appreciate it.

The corridor at the top is leading off to the magma pipe, by the way.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making an egg-shaped fortress.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:45:40 pm »

It helps AMAZINGLY, I used it to help plot out towers on Meetsecret, it should help wif your egg, if not it is still nice t have!
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:49:02 pm »

and I was going to make a 3d model, pff. Templates ftw

If you're having bedrooms in the middle, then I would suggest farming and wood related workshops on the very top, close to the surface, and the masonry and other workshops at the very bottom, to reduce noise. Although I think moving along the x/y axis is a lot more important when it comes to noise. Do you need exterior access? If you seal it off kobolds won't get in. You can also chain a dog to the entrance.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:54:26 pm »

Efum: That's decent, but...eh, I'll just dig out some more room. Not like I don't need it.

Anyone else have any more ideas? I'm going to skip levels, of course, but the main reason I'm making an egg-shaped fortress...is this.

A waterfall.

I'm going to have a huge waterfall running down the center and draining into the chasm nearby, with a large crystal glass "yolk" in the center containing living fish.

I figure that should put paid to any "slept uneasily due to noise" complaints.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 02:55:14 pm »

Also.... Make it Doctor Robotnik's Death Egg and coat it in iron :D

Edit: Very nice, Your dwarves will never tantrum with that... you must build the dining area around it.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:08:57 pm »

I should have put "In b4 Robotnik Joke" in the first post.

Now that I have that template, it's going right next to my other DF stuff!

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:53:14 pm »

The egg is perfect, I don't know if you took into account the 3x3 rooms, or what, but you could have workshops fit perfectly side by side through the whole thing. I'm guessing you only did it cause of symmetry though :p

That egg is fine in my opinion, just dig it all out :D

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:47:17 pm »

Actually, I just put the 3x3 rooms because it was how I was designing at the time.

I do tend to make 3x3 rooms for just about EVERYTHING though.