Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So THAT is what that color thing does...  (Read 1242 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So THAT is what that color thing does...
« on: June 27, 2009, 08:43:29 pm »

So, messing around for my tileset work led me to try out the "color values of 8-15 with non-zero brightness" thing to see what exactly "strange effects" means, as the wiki mentions it.  So I got this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each red rectangle highlights the next location of the two trees I singled out as I move the map around.  The rectangle representing the next space the pair is to move to within the DF window is half colored with the foreground color of the tile there.  When the tweaked-out, wierd tree with colors set to [10:13:1] moves to that location, the foreground color takes on the color of the tile that was there before the map moved and the background color (magenta) remains the same.  On load, the foreground color defaults to black.

Since the behavior is explainable and regular, I suggest adding this to the wiki. I thought it would be better to ask here first since the last time the colors discussion page was updated was Nov 2007.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: So THAT is what that color thing does...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:30:26 pm »

Have you tested animals as well? Not to assume that this won't work on animals as well, but if you do than we could be completely sure that it works on them as well as just on trees. Plus it would only take a moment, just pick an animal on your map in a good position and then edit the color raws. Then you could pause the game and see if it works.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:05:01 pm »

Hmm, good point thare.  I tried it, and yes creatures take on the same properties.  Aggrivating thing is the names use the creature colors, so it happens in the units list as well.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

I make games, too

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:29:54 pm »

I did some of the original (at least as far as I know; I still can't believe nobody bothered doing that earlier) research on color values greater than 7; it's partially my fault the wiki's vague on that detail, as someone copy/pasted something I said to the wiki while the research was only half-complete, and I never bothered to correct it later.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24769.0

Most of what you said or is already on the wiki was included or was meant to be included in that research topic there, either found by me or other people (Steelion stumbled onto this, Xenomorph and Jifodus had the technical explanations, all I did was make creatures with high color values and see what happened). I don't know why those half-filled rectangles are there, though, but I suspect it has something to do with your tileset interfering with these power we were not meant to wield.

I'll do what I should have done back in September and finish that section of the wiki article.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:52:29 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:43:38 pm »

...the rectangles I put into the animation to demonstrate what I was explaining; that is why the big hand-scrawled arrows are red too.  ;)

I will gladly tweak the animation if it is too vague, as what those color values do is kinda hard to explain well in words.  A diagram may improve the clarity of the wiki once it is edited.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:46:12 pm by LordZorintrhox »

I make games, too

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:50:39 pm »

PRE-EDIT: Alright, thanks for clearing that up. Article fixed for good now.

The "interesting color effects" section of the article should be a bit clearer now.

I still don't like the way it's integrated into the rest of the article, but it'll do.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »

Nice.

I make games, too