Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Yay for burrows!  (Read 1917 times)

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yay for burrows!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 04:20:31 pm »

"burrow" = borough? (ie: a district of a city or town)

No, I believe that it is burrow like as in a rabbit burrow.

Actually, in that terms it seems like a pretty cunning pun.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 07:35:39 pm »

I wonder. Will this affect pathing?

I'm thinking it could be an epic save on CPU time if Toady optimized the pathing for this kind of thing, so that pathing took less time and few CPU cycles for each dwarf. Probably wouldn't stop the catsplosion, but I'm sure even minor savings on pathfinding would make the game run much smoother for bigger forts.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 05:36:29 am »

Another good question is; will we be able to designate burrows ocver several z-levels?

I've become fond of the idea of making different towers for different crafts, i.e. a cloth industry tower, with farms in the bottom and workshops and such higher up, or a masonry tower.

I'd be sad if burrows wre one z-level only.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 08:14:21 am »

Another good question is; will we be able to designate burrows ocver several z-levels?

I've become fond of the idea of making different towers for different crafts, i.e. a cloth industry tower, with farms in the bottom and workshops and such higher up, or a masonry tower.

I'd be sad if burrows wre one z-level only.

I believe that you can assign dwarves to multiple burrows, so even if they were 1 z-level only, you could still have a dwarf assigned to "CRAFTOWERFLOOR1" "CRAFTOWERFLOOR2" and "CRAFTOWERFLOOR3."

As a fellow tower builder, I look forward to being able to have the real carpenter making beds and the peons building the next floor without worrying about the master carpenter building walls.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 08:33:04 am »

Wow, no more dwarven airlocks to separate my legendaries from the rest.

New challenge:

7 founders; each of the starting 7 must spread to a different corner of the map and found their own burrow fort.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 09:37:30 am »

"burrow" = borough? (ie: a district of a city or town)

I believe it's sort of a pun on that since dwarfs are subterranean settlers.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 10:54:40 am »

I love this feature. As soon as I am able to donate, Toady gets something from me.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 [2]